News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

CHOOPS/APF 2K8

Started by Brad Company, January 16, 2019 @ 02:25:54 PM

Brad Company

Paid 5 bucks for these two games to see if they held up. They sure do, it's amazing how simple intuitive controls and richer feature sets make for better games.
These two games play better than current sports games to me, which is surprising, and kind of sad.

Jason

I wanted to buy AFK 2K8 last year, but it's not sold digitally anymore and I'm not a fan of buying used discs. Xbox Live does have a free demo I need to check out. My only complaint with all the 2K football games is that the passes felt "floaty". I curious to see if I feel that way about 2K8.

Brad Company

Yeah, the places I go, I can see the disc, and one place buffs 'em if needed. I only get pretty cases with manuals, too, 'cos I'm like that.
I like the feel of 2K football much more, including the passing. Right out of the box, the game felt more fair and less scripted than Madden.
Choops kind of puts the latest 2K games to shame with movement and not having to nail an animation string, like Tekken 7.
Endless customization, and a crazy deep dynasty mode, and no VC. I may get NBA2K8 for a dollar to see if it plays the same.
Needless to say, the servers for both games are long dead.

God, I wish MVP Baseball had been on PS3, I'd buy and play that in a heartbeat.
I also picked up Tiger Woods 12 and 13, since golf on PS4 sucks. Todays' haul was 6 PS3 games in mint condition for $13.

Brad Company

BOMBA! roster and profile for CHOOPS with all teams unlocked and named still posted at OS, downloaded and done!

Jason

I downloaded the APF 2K8 demo and tried it out. The passes still seem to float a bit, but overall, I really like how the game plays. I forgot how much like I like the older play calling screens with the defensive plays across the top and the offensive plays along the bottom. I never understood why they moved it to left/right in the newer Maddens.

I need to get used to the older controls, especially the sprint button not being R2, but the player controller is so much more responsive than the all these newer, animation-heavy sports games. It's really a shame it's no longer available digitally because I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

It's such a shame that non-licensed sports game can't succeed in gaming anymore. I would love for 2K to release a generic football game on the current consoles. I still consider NCAA Baseball 06 and 07 (which I still have for PS2) to be better games than MVP, even though they didn't have the MLB license, mainly because they added zone hitting to those games.

Brad Company

For me, MVP 05 was perfection, but I like the college games, as well. Wasn't a fan of zone hitting or rock and fire, but they let you use the MVP control scheme, iirc.

Jason

Quote from: Brad Company on January 17, 2019 @ 08:49:12 AM
For me, MVP 05 was perfection, but I like the college games, as well. Wasn't a fan of zone hitting or rock and fire, but they let you use the MVP control scheme, iirc.

My settings were identical to MVP too, except for zone hitting. I kept pitching and fielding the same as MVP (button/meter).

I never played 2K's college basketball games, but I know that College Hoops 2K8 is considered one of the greats. Having said that, you can get simplified basketball gameplay this gen with NBA Live.

Brad Company