News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Starters Orders 7 Released

Started by Ted, December 02, 2018 @ 11:35:46 AM

Ted

https://www.startersorders.com/index.html

Just released today.  I know you guys probably don't play anything on PC anymore, but I thought I'd drop this here.  I've owned 5 and 6, and now 7.  Been about 3 years since 6 was released I think.  One man shop and he doesn't rush things.

It's like Football Manager or OOTP, but for horse racing.  So if you or anyone you know is into horse racing it's a really good simulation (and pretty much the only game for PC) and includes 3D racing to view with dynamic commentary that is pretty good (launched in 6 and greatly improved).

Basically you own a stable and can own horses and/or train horses for AI owners.  There is breeding and financial management as well.  It's really deep and involved.  Also includes a jockey mode for riding the races yourself.  If you don't want to train or breed or own horses you can just play as a punter (betting).

It's definitely a step down graphically from something like G1 Jockey or Gallop Racer series, but it's a much more realistic simulation.

Current price at current exchange rates is a bit under $30.

No demo available yet that I see, but there are demos for previous versions if you wan to see what the general feel is like.  I purchase every new version that comes out to support the developer and help keep niche stuff like this out there.

Jason

What type of PC setup do you currently have? I couldn't find any minimum specs for this game on their site.

Ted

This PC is about 5 years old I think. 

i5-2500 @
8 GB RAM
GTX 960 w/ 6GB RAM (replacement about 2 years old?  original 560 I think? had a catastrophic failure)
256 GB SSD (mostly just the OS)
1TB HDD
27" 1920x1080 monitor

Runs new games on at least medium.  Can still run some new stuff on high or ultra.  Haven't felt the need to upgrade at all.

SO7 runs great.  I don't think it's very demanding even in the 3D races.

SO6 should have a demo so you can test your system on that.  The biggest noticeable change between 6 and 7 is the addition of spoken/dynamic commentary.

Ted