News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

E3 2016 Impressions

Started by Jason, June 13, 2016 @ 11:37:40 PM

Jason

Impressive E3 presentation from Sony tonight. They didn't waste any time on crap and just showed game after game. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

I'm not a huge God of War fan, but the new gameplay trailer certainly got my attention. It's nice to see they're moving in a different direction with the gameplay and environment.

I had never heard of Days Gone, but that was another game that I thought had potential.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is looking better than expected. I can't wait for February 2017.

I had heard the rumors of a new Spider-Man game for the PS4, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it's being made my Insomniac. It's about time a good developer got a chance with such a popular super hero.

I think Sony was smart not mentioning the PS4 Neo for two reasons: 1. It would hurt sales of their current system. 2. It's seriously under-powered when compared to Microsoft's Project Scorpio.

For Honor is probably my second-most anticipated game behind Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I was pretty disappointed with Ghost Recon: Wildlands. I had high hopes for this and wasn't impressed at all with the gameplay shown today. The same goes for Watch Dogs 2.

I was impressed with the new Xbox One Slim, and would have even considered buying one just for Gears of War and Forza until they mentioned Project Scorpio. I think Microsoft shot themselves in the foot for the short term. Nobody is going to want to buy and Xbox One or Xbox One Slim with a far more powerful console coming out in less than 18 months. They should have held off on the announcement until early 2017 and just launched it as their next-gen console.

Jason

I forgot to mention that the Twitch and YouTube streaming for all the presentations sucked if viewed on your TV. The videos were pixelated and choppy. Hopefully a TV station, like SpikeTV last year, will broadcast E3 next year.

Brad Company

The Xbone slim is still on my radar even with Scorpio coming. All dat backwards compatibility.
Should be less than $300 in a year or so.

BDSooner72

I was more impressed with MS games and commitment to their controller over Sony.  Sony should have an updated controller by now without the stupid light, battery life that lasts longer than 5 hours and rumbling triggers.

I will be looking into the Xbox One S to go along with my PS4. Really looking forward to some MS exclusives like Cuphead, Dead Rising 4 (played a ton of 3 when I had an XB1) and playing the new Tomb Raider much earlier than it will appear on the PS4.

BDSooner72

Forgot to add that I will be giving Skyrim Remastered another couple hundred hours when it releases and nice to see one final batch of DLC for Fallout 4.  Disappointing with the lack of Wolfenstein footage but at least they showed it is in the works.

Now I just need a freaking tennis game announced.

More impressed with Dead Rising over Days Gone but one nice thing is Bend Studios (Syphon Filter series) is behind it. The whole unlimited ammo shooting and running just does not feel right compared to something like Dying Light with it's excellent melee and parkour.

BDSooner72

Just found this interesting little tidbit.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/13/11927732/xbox-one-s-performance-gears-4

Games can perform better on Xbox One S
Better frame rates and higher resolution are possible on Microsoft's slimmer console

QuoteAccording to Fergusson, the Xbox One S has additional raw GPU and CPU power compared to the Xbox One, and The Coalition's engineers have been able to take advantage of that to reduce the frequency of frame rate or resolution penalties in more demanding sections of the game.

Jason

Quote from: Brad Company on June 14, 2016 @ 05:51:09 AM
The Xbone slim is still on my radar even with Scorpio coming. All dat backwards compatibility.
Should be less than $300 in a year or so.
I didn't know they were releasing models with different hard drive sizes. I thought the 2TB version was $299, but that's only the 500GB version.

BDSooner72

Jason

No mention of Red Dead Redemption sequel or remaster :(

Jason

Quote from: BDSooner72 on June 14, 2016 @ 07:11:57 AM
I was more impressed with MS games and commitment to their controller over Sony.  Sony should have an updated controller by now without the stupid light, battery life that lasts longer than 5 hours and rumbling triggers.

I will be looking into the Xbox One S to go along with my PS4. Really looking forward to some MS exclusives like Cuphead, Dead Rising 4 (played a ton of 3 when I had an XB1) and playing the new Tomb Raider much earlier than it will appear on the PS4.

I thought Sony blew away Microsoft in regards to games. I was surprised their entire presentation was dedicated to nothing but games.

The new Tomb Raider will be available for the PS4 this fall, so I don't have a problem waiting a few more months to play. It's one of the games I'm looking forward to the most.

BDSooner72

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-300-version-of-the-xbox-one-s-wont-launch-unti/1100-6440990/
The $300 Version of the Xbox One S Won't Launch Until December, Apparently
The system that Microsoft touted the most at E3 reportedly won't launch until months after the 2 TB model comes out in August

I was going to go 500GB and use an external HD. This is not the news I was looking for.

Jason

Looks like the same for the 1TB console. By that time you're literally less than a year away from Project Scorpio.