News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

DLNA on PS4

Started by Jason, January 31, 2016 @ 06:23:03 PM

Jason

Brad, I know you've been waiting for DLNA support on the PS4 and was wondering if your interest in it was mainly for streaming movies to your PS4.

I started converting a lot of my DVDs and Blu-rays to MP4s and use PS3 Media Server to stream them to my TV, tablets and computers, but unfortunately my PS4 didn't work with it due the lack of DLNA support.

Fortunately Plex has just released a free app for the PS4 that works nicely with their Media Server software. It was actually released a few months ago but only worked with their premium plan, but now it works with free Plex accounts too. I installed their media server software on my computer and was streaming movies to my PS4 in minutes. If you're interested in streaming media to your PS4, it's definitely worth checking out and has a really nice interface.

Brad Company

Yeah, I saw that. Plex commandeered a port in my router, though, and I began to have NAT issues in some games.
Need to see if there is a workaround. My PS3 is inches from my PS4 and networked, as well. :P

Jason

You shouldn't need to open any ports in your router for internal use of your Plex Server.

Jason

I went ahead and purchased the Plex Android app for $4.99 since I setup remote access to my Plex server last night. I now have access to my entire movie collection (the ones I converted so far) from anywhere in the world as long as I have internet access.

Jason

Got to test it out today by letting my son watch Kung Fu Panda on my phone while at a restaurant.