News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Day 1 with the PS4

Started by Jason, November 15, 2013 @ 06:50:50 PM

Jason

My son's PS4 arrived today while he was at school, so I had some time to set it up with no kids around. It killed me to install it in his room instead of the living room, but I guess I'll be spending more time in his room now.

The console itself is very sleek looking and feels like it's well-made, and Sony was also nice enough to include an HDMI cable with the console. What really surprised me was the dual-shock 4 controller. I've been hearing a lot of good things about it, and all those positive comments are well-deserved. It felt so comfortable and the analogs sticks and buttons just felt so good. It's going to be hard going back to my Xbox controller now.

After powering on the system, I entered my PSN account info and then had the option to update to the latest firmware version (1.50). It downloaded quickly and installed without any problems. The PSN Dashboard is completely new to me, so it took me a little while to move around. I wasn't thrilled about entering a credit card just to activate any of the codes in the store and I lost my free month when I entered my 12-month subscription code. It's also very annoying that the store keeps pushing 1,3 and 12 month subscriptions even though we have a full year before needing to renew.

The only game we have so far is Battlefield 4. My son seems to like it and thinks the graphics are a big step up from COD: Ghost on the XB360. My copy of NBA 2K14 is coming tomorrow, so that'll be my first real taste of next-gen graphics and gaming. I've already connected my phone and tablet to the PS4 through the new PlayStation Network app and will hopefully find something that takes advantage of the second screen offered.

My son absolutely loves the live-broadcasting on Twitch and already wants to get the addon camera for that alone. It was pretty cool to be able to watch my older son play using the Twitch app on my tablet while sitting in another room with my younger son.

So far I'm pretty impressed with the PS4. Hopefully I'll be ready to buy my own console around this time next year.

Brad Company

You'll probably cave when The Show comes out...it's going to be tough to resist.
FWIW, actual Killzone fans seem to like the new release better than some reviewers.

Jason

NBA 2K14 just arrived and my son is spending the night at my brother's house, so the PS4 is all mine!!!

Ted

Quote from: Brad Company on November 16, 2013 @ 08:56:53 AM
You'll probably cave when The Show comes out...it's going to be tough to resist.
FWIW, actual Killzone fans seem to like the new release better than some reviewers.

That's when I think I might cave.  I was going to get an iPad Air for my birthday, but held off and thinking of going PS4 instead.  Also, the thought of maybe (just maybe) of going back online to play the likes of Jason in something to do with sports has been on my mind.  The other day I was having fond memories of crushing each others' souls in NCAA 06.

BDSooner72

Hope you are enjoying it.  Us poor folk have to stick with the PS3.  ;)

Jason

I've always waited for the second generation of hardware and software before jumping into the next generation of consoles,  but I may not make it this time. I think Watch Dogs is the game that will pull me in. It's also nice to see Sony working hard on software...I successfully updated my son's PS4 to v1.51 tonight.

BDSooner72

Same for me, I waited last gen but I am getting my PS4 in March when MLB The Show 14 hits. Hopefully most of the kinks are out by then. Just FYI either PSN is screwed up of your son has a time machine hidden in the closet. It showed you had not been online for 2 or more years.  ^-^

Jason

Really? I used my son's account to update the PS4, but my account should show that I've played NBA 2K14...at least it does on my PSN Android app.

BDSooner72

It changed back to 3 days ago last time I checked. One of those weird glitches you get when you have a ton of people logged into PSN I guess.

Also looking forward to Watch Dogs and Dying Light (pretty much Dead Island meets Mirrors Edge). A few other games I am keeping my eye on.  Really hoping to get a new Hot Shots Golf and very excited to see Naughty Dog make an announcement teaser for a new Uncharted.

Still plenty to play as I wait.  For the first time ever I completed a GTA game and looking forward to single player DLC for it and The Last of Us. Also going to give a second run through Uncharted 2-3 and Tomb Raider.