News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Dead Island

Started by Jason, September 28, 2011 @ 11:26:31 PM

Jason

Ted has convinced me to purchase a copy of Dead Island so we can tackle the online co-op together. Anyone else playing this game? If so, what's your take on it? I'm not a FPS player, but I'm going to give this one a shot.

webdanzer

I love it.  Been playing on PS3

Jason

Derek, any reason you went with the PS3 version?

What character is everyone using? I'm going to start playing tonight and I'm probably going to use Purna since she always has a gun.

Ted

Purna is fun, but you need to realize that guns are not something you get until early-mid game and they aren't effective against undead like in other games.  They are effective against humans though.  That said, she can definitely do a lot of damage with melee weapons like everyone else.  Purna's strength is truly in the multiplayer aspect as she has buffs that boost the whole group's damage and other abilities.  For single player I would recommend a different character, but if we do the whole campaign together she is an excellent choice.

I've used all of the characters and I like the white guy (thrower) and Purna for their fury skill.  I like the rapper the best as he is a melee beast, but I don't like his fury that much.  The asian girl is the one I've used least so haven't had time to really look at her strengths/weaknesses.

If you go with Purna in our game I will probably go with the rapper.

webdanzer

I went with PS3 because I found the PS3 version in a Redbox near me, and I rented it to take a look.

Played it, loved it, and when I returned the rental I purchased the PS3 version because that's where the saved game was!

That said, I'm now on my 5th broken Xbox (3 original, 2 slim) right now (at ups heading for the repair center as I type this) and I'm finally at the point where I think I'll be buying more multiplatform disc games on the PS3 rather than the 360 from this point on, as long as they are not Racers, Shooters, or Music games.  Those I'll still play on the 360 because I either have the equipment already there or because I like the controller that much better for the genre.

I actually consider Dead Island more of a melee-er than a shooter, though!  As Ted said, guns are useful, but less so against the main zombie types and more so against humans and some specialty zombies.  From what I've heard, you won't get the most out of Purna until later on.

Funny that I use the character that Ted uses the least, Xian.  She's great with blades, can develop an instant-kill stomp specialty attack, and has some ninja/thief-like attacks by being able to do more damage when attacking while backstabbing or leaping through the air.  She's very good at decapitations and severing limbs.  You should see the carnage when a mob of zombies piles around me as I stand on the hood of a car, waving my machete around!

Jason

I started a new game with Logan just to see if the story changed at all and it didn't...unless it changes later on.

Ted

I'm pretty sure the story is the same regardless of character.  In fact in some cut scenes you have all four characters visible even in single player as if you have these other three people wandering around with you.

Slumberland

Want to play this, but no time!  Maybe a bit down the road...

Jason

Had a good time tonight Ted. Co-op is definitely a lot of fun. I'll be a little better the next time we play.

Ted

Don't worry about it.  I had fun.  I'll just hang back a little more and cover you, do some kicking to control the mob while you get a better feel for the combat.  I always worry that maybe you aren't into watching the cut scenes and listening to the dialogue like I like to do.  Is it ok if we do that?  Or do you just want to rocket through everything real fast?  I can play either way, but I kind of like to listen and watch the story develop.  I also like to do as many of the side quests as we can find.  Up to you though.

Jason

I enjoy the cut scenes on these types of games, especially since the story is a big part of the game. I'm glad you don't mind watching them all again.

I don't mind the side quests either. About how long does it take to complete the game?

Ted

I'm not sure.  I've played about halfway through the PC version twice and have 50 hours in.  So maybe 50 hours if you explore alot?  Might keep us busy for the next year if that's ok with you.

Jason

I'm in no rush to finish the game in co-op mode.

Jason

Apparently the issue I have with first person games is called VR Sickness

I feel exactly the same way if I try to read in a car and I've always had that problem.

Ted

Are you ok if we limit it to 45 minutes?  We can definitely complete a couple of side quests in that time while listening to all the cut scenes.  Progressing a bit at a time is not a problem for me.