News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu
B

Develop Rumor: New Xbox console on desks at EA

Started by BDSooner72, May 06, 2011 @ 01:15:53 PM

BDSooner72

Taken from neogaf

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37618/Develop-source-New-Xbox-console-on-desks-at-EA

Originally Posted by Rob Crossley:
Develop source: New Xbox console on desks at EA

New system could steal Wii 2’s thunder with shock E3 reveal

The successor to the Xbox 360 console is on desks at an unnamed Electronic Arts studio, Develop understands.

The new hardware, sent to EA last month, is a very early build with no casing â€" it is in fact being stored inside a PC shell.

EA developers are getting to grips with the tech to create first-generation software, Develop has been told.

“Quite often when new consoles come around they’re packaged into a PC shell, but actually what’s inside is an entirely new console,” a senior, trusted, well-placed said.

Microsoft has declined to comment. EA has declined to comment. Develop’s source is not employed at either company.
Article continues below

The source believed, but did not have certain information, that the new Xbox would launch by the end of 2012. The individual expects an announcement will be made, at least in some form, at E3.

SHOW TIME

In March, new data revealed Microsoft was at the early stages in building the successor to the Xbox 360.

The platform owner had advertised new job vacancies such as Graphics Hardware Architect and Performance Engineer for the Xbox Console Architecture Group.

Microsoft’s new hires will be “responsible for defining and delivering next generation console architectures from conception through implementation,” the company said.

The language of the job vacancies suggested a reveal for the console is years away, but Develop’s source says a shock reveal could be weeks away.

“Why let Nintendo steal the thunder in June [At E3]? It doesn’t want to lose momentum. That’s why I think Microsoft is rushing to make an announcement at E3.”

It leads to suspicion that key next-gen projects are underway at Microsoft’s own internal studios. Some project names Develop has seen would suggest a change of guard.

NEXT GENERATION

Specifications for the device are not available, for now. Develop understands that the hardware will feature enhanced support for Kinect with just a couple of alterations.

[...]

“Kinect will keep the 360 going for a couple of years, but Microsoft knows that if it slows down now it will face trouble,” the source added.

Eurogamer

Originally Posted by Robert Purchese:
Eurogamer understands that an E3 2011 reveal for Microsoft's next Xbox is highly unlikely.

Our respected source poured water on Develop's report that some kind of announcement will happen next month at E3.

Develop's report also mentions that EA already has development kits for the new console. To a untrained eye, these apparently look like PCs. But inside are apparently the components of Microsoft's next Xbox.

Prototype dev kits typically are PCs inside a PC box: the first Xbox 360 developer tools were based on dual core G5 PowerPC Macs with an ATI X800 GPU while the initial PS3 dev kits were based around a PC with two GeForce 6800 Ultras running in SLI.

The Develop source believes the new Xbox could launch as soon as the end of 2012.

No technical specifications for the new console were given.

EA and Microsoft both declined comment.

Brad Company

Vociferous denials coming in now;http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1166424p1.html

Doesn't make sense since they just launched the Slim and Kinect.

BDSooner72

They have denied plenty of things that ended up true, so I would not count anything out.  What hurts MS is they were the first one out of the gate this gen.  Now they have Wii2 to deal with.  Kinnect could ride along fine with a new console anyway, I doubt it would be an issue.

Jason

I hope it's not true. There's still plenty of life left in the XB360 and PS3. Coming out this early would almost guarantee that it'll be a much less-powerful system than Sony's next-gen console.

Brad Company

I really don't think either MS or Sony launch a new console next year. The current decks are just now becoming profitable.
Videogame spending is decreasing,as well.

Jason

I also think Microsoft would lose a lot of momentum with the Xbox 360 if they announce a new console. They're beating Sony this generation, so there should be no rush for them to move to the next generation of consoles.

BDSooner72

I doubt Sony is someone to worry about right now.  I do not see their sales going through the roof anytime soon.

From Wikipedia
Worldwide sales figures

• Wii â€" 86.01 million as of 31 March 2011[8]
  • Xbox 360 â€" 50 million as of 6 January 2011[30]
  • PlayStation 3 â€" 50 million as of 15 April 2011[31]
The one thing that has hurt the Wii is Third Party support and quality third party games. Their online interface is terrible (friends codes) and Nintendo has admitted they flubbed online with the Wii. Nintendo fans are always going to buy a Nintendo console.  The Wiimote brought in a lot of casuals to the market.  Bringing graphics as good or better than the PS3 or 360 could influence the hardcore market, assuming the third parties make it worthwhile and an online setup that rivals the two.

Just some food for thought.