News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Personal Gaming Thread

Started by Jason, January 31, 2014 @ 05:25:53 PM

Jason

I figured I'd start a new thread instead of continuing in the "PlayStation Black Friday Deals" thread.

I'm working my way through Unit 13 now that I completed Killzone and I just downloaded F1 2011 since it was only $14.99. I'm looking forward to trying out a few races this weekend.

I still think it's such a shame that the Vita is not better supported because this could easily be my only/primary game system.

Brad Company

Whew. At first I thought this was going to be a Personal Grooming Thread. Carry on.

Jason

I'm in no position to write about personal grooming :)

Jason

Just played a handful of races in F1 2011 and it's great. Not sure how I didn't find this game earlier as I've been looking for a good simulation racer on the Vita.

Jason

I just started my career in F1 on the Vita and am also working my way through Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) via remote play. I broke down and ordered a 16GB memory card for the Vita since Amazon had them on sale for only $37. I'll move all my games to the new card and use my current 8GB card for movies only. I'm probably going to buy Uncharted next and and needed some free space anyway.

Ted

So if I'm understanding this correctly you can play any PS4 game on your Vita remotely?  Like it streams to the device or something?

Jason

Yes, that's correct. You can connect wirelessly directly with the PS4 or over the Internet. I have a direct, wireless connection to my son's PS4 and it works flawlessly. This type of connection works best if you're within 20 feet of the PS4. We leave the PS4 in standby mode and once my son goes to bed I can power on and play his PS4 remotely right from my Vita.

So far I've tried it with NBA 2k14, Need for Speed and now Killzone and it works great. I haven't noticed any lag and the PS4 graphics look impressive on the small Vita screen. I've heard it doesn't work as well over the Internet, but that's not my intended use for remote play.

Here's a video showing it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0JG2xbp4YE

Ted

So when it streams wireless it isn't using the internet?  They just communicate with each other?  And it might be obvious, but you can't play a different game of the PS4 when someone is streaming to the Vita?

Jason

You can also connect to the PS4 via your wireless router. Sony recommends connecting to whichever one your Vita is closer to. My son's room is right next to my living room, so I connect directly to his PS4. I plan on trying the connection through my router which is in my office on the other side of my house.

Right, remote play essentially takes over the console. If my son turned his tv on, he'd be able to watch me play. What is nice though is that I can play on his PS4 remotely while he's playing his Xbox even though they're connected to the same tv.

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

Ted

What about this.....If I had the items could I connect the Vita to my PC monitor and stream the PS4 to my Vita, holding the Vita in my hand and streaming the Vita's output screen to my monitor?

Jason

There's no way to output the Vita display to a TV or monitor. To do that, you'd need to buy the Vita TV, which is also compatible with remote play.

Jason

My 16GB memory card came today and Sony's Content Manager made it so easy to move all the data from my old 8GB card to the new 16GB card. I really like being able to backup my Vita to my personal computer.

Ted

Backing up to your PC is a great feature.

Jason

Not only can you backup your entire system, but you can backup any of your games so you don't have to re-download them from the Sony site if you ever delete them and want to reinstall them again. I did that a few times until I upgraded my memory card. I know Sony isn't some fly-by-night company that will just disappear overnight, but I still like being able to have my own backups of downloaded games.

BDSooner72

Killing time until Thief hits.  Peggle 2 is pretty darn addictive but you can play that so much. Still playing Dead Rising 3 and mowing down hordes of zombies.  I am also looking forward to the Golf Club game and playing around with the course editor.