News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Flight Sim Thread

Started by Ted, June 07, 2011 @ 11:42:53 PM

Ted

Going to post flight simming stuff (deals, patches, mods, releases) that I come across.

Ted

http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

Rise of Flight has released a free, unlimited demo that allows you to fly two aircraft just as you would in the full game.  You are only limited to the two aircraft.  Anything you can do in the full game you can do in the demo, just only with two aircraft.  This is quite a freebie in my opinion.

Rise of Flight was released a couple of years ago and was a mess to begin with, but it has really evolved into a solid flight sim experience and with the upcoming release of the new career mode with the next patch it's going to take another big step ahead. 

Takes a decent system to run it, but I can run it fine on my machine (Core 2 Duo CPU, 9800GT GPU) which is not what is considered powerful currently.  Definitely worth the time if you are interested in flight sims or WWI aviation.

Ted

Air to Air Simulations (http://www.a2asimulations.com/ )has released its latest expansion for FSX, Captain of the Ship (COTS) for the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser.  The basic Stratocruiser package was upgraded a few years ago with the Accusim pack and now the accusim pack has been upgraded with COTS.  I have the package and can say it is pretty immersive and interesting to fly, but only if you want to do some serious simming.  If you are looking for some "light" flying this isn't a good choice.

http://youtu.be/_CNjC3Lz32U

Ted

http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

If you are into space flight this is a lot of fun.  If you have kids this is a lot of fun.  If you have kids that are interested in space flight?  Don't show them this.  You might not get the PC back.

It's FREE.

Jason

Very cool. My son loves these types of games. Right now he's hooked on Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

Ted

KSP is really a neat little program and I hope the developer expands it to include missions and maybe some lunar landing type stuff.  I'd pay to support the development for sure.

Ted

Laminar Research has released the demo for the upcoming X-Plane 10.  It's a release candidate so that users may give feedback about bugs they find.

http://x-plane.com/

Jason

Is that a new flight sim series or an update of an existing one?

Ted

X-Plane has been around for quite awhile.  Their simulation has a high enough level of fidelity that if a flight school pays for the professional version you can actually log the simulator time towards your hours while learning to fly.  Of course there are limits to the amount that you can credit, but it is creditable.

There is a pretty intense rivalry between those that use X-Plane and those that use MSFS.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses and unlike what you might read on x-plane forums it does have some pretty significant shortcomings.  Probably the most noticeable is an unfriendly UI.

The things that have kept me from using X more are:

Horrible UI
Limited Plane set (this is getting better)
I don't like the visuals.  I think the graphics engine is too dark and there is just something about the whole thing that puts me off.
The terrible crosswind behavior of the aircraft (even worse than the terrible crosswind behavior in MSFS).

Ted

Rise of Flight is having a Black Friday sale this weekend.

The Iron Cross Edition is available for $19.99 at certain digital outlets and all add on aircraft are for sale at 50% off at the RoF website.

http://riseofflight.com/en

Jason

Just got an email this morning from Microsoft inviting me to the Flight Beta. It's scheduled to go in January.

The Microsoft® Flight team is excited to announce that we are now accepting applications to our beta. 

To apply for the beta: 

1.  Make sure you have a LIVE Gamertag. 
To sign up for the Flight beta, you will need a LIVE Gamertag. If you don't already have one, you can get your LIVE Gamertag here. 

2.  Opt in to stay informed. 
We are in the process of integrating our newsletter with Xbox LIVE®. To make sure that you receive the upcoming news and information about Microsoft Flight, be sure to opt in to receive marketing emails when you sign up for your Gamertag. If you already have a LIVE Gamertag, review your opt-in preferences to make sure you're receiving marketing emails. 

3.  Fill out your application on Microsoft Connect. 

Ted

Got that too, but I'm probably not going to bother.  I figure they will be flooded with requests and I don't have the time to be a good beta tester anyway.

Jason

Microsoft Flight Coming this Spring

Today we announced that Microsoft Flight is coming this Spring. It will be a free download plus you’ll also be able to get achievements.
Here are some highlights from the press release as well as a couple of videos for you to enjoy. Plus don’t miss the chance to sign up for the Beta.

Start Exploring For Free
After downloading “Microsoft Flight” for free, players can jump into hours of exciting gameplay on the Big Island of Hawaii.
In addition, players who sign in to their Games for Windows â€" LIVE account automatically receive additional free content, including the legendary Boeing Stearman plane, supplementary missions, and access to Achievements and an Online Pilot Profile. Those looking to deepen their experience can purchase and download additional content that adds new aircraft, regions and customization options. The frequently released new content for “Microsoft Flight” includes daily aerocache challenges and updates that make every flight unique and fun.

Be the First to Fly the Definitive Light Sport Aircraft ICON A5
Microsoft Studios worked with the personal airplane manufacturing team at ICON Aircraft to give aviation fans the exclusive opportunity to fly the all-new ICON A5 before real-world production starts at the end of 2012. Designed by the world-class aeronautical engineers behind the Voyager spaceship, X-Prize winning SpaceShipOne, and Virgin Galatic’s SpaceShipTwo, the ICON A5 is the “jet ski for the skies,” a high-wing amphibious monoplane with a carbon fiber airframe and a comfortable, automobile-inspired cockpit with space for two. The ICON A5 will be the first aircraft available to players for free in “Microsoft Flight.”
“ICON Aircraft and ‘Microsoft Flight’ both share the goal of making the fun of flying accessible to everyone who’s ever dreamed about it. ICON does this by fusing world-class product design with the very best engineering, and Microsoft by combining the excitement of a great gaming experience with the authenticity of a top notch flight simulator,” said ICON Aircraft CEO Kirk Hawkins.

Be the First to Experience “Microsoft Flight”
Today the team behind “Microsoft Flight” released an exclusive video that features all-new footage of “Microsoft Flight.” To view it, visit: http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/. Additionally, the launch sequence has begun! Be among the first to try “Microsoft Flight” by signing up for the closed beta. The voyage continues at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas from January 10 â€" 13. Those that attend will have the chance to play “Microsoft Flight” before it releases this spring at the Microsoft booth, located in the Central Hall.              

Microsoft Flight

Microsoft Flight

Source: Major Nelson

Jason

Ted

Going to wait for the 360 version and hopefully fly multiplayer online with it.