News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu
B

NFL gives EA a break - smaller fees, extra year

Started by BDSooner72, February 15, 2011 @ 07:15:40 PM

BDSooner72

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/02/20110214/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-EA.aspx

The NFL has restructured its lucrative licensing and sponsorship contract with Electronic Arts to account for the sport’s uncertain future, significantly reducing the video game maker’s contractual obligations next season but adding a year to the deal, according to several well-placed sources. The contract now runs through 2013.

Mike_S

The one thing I've never understood: If EA has an exclusive, how did Backyard Sports also have an NFL license and players for many years for PS2 games ?

(Similar question for baseball regarding Take 2's "Third Party exclusive"...)

What is actually exclusive ?

I have never been able to find anything on this topic...

BDSooner72

EA has the exclusive for the consoles in football, except for the kids version (Backyard Football) which is published by Atari.

Take 2 is the only 3rd party who can make a MLB game.  First Parties (Nintendo, MS, Sony) are allowed to make a MLB game if they purchase the MLB license.  Again there must be a side deal that allows Atari to make a kids version (Backyard Baseball).

Also I see a few mobile games that are using the NFL license but not made by EA.

It is possible they were given the okay by EA to use the NFL license for a cut of the profits on the game.