News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Shift 2 Unleased Info

Started by Jason, January 27, 2011 @ 09:20:34 AM

webdanzer

I did enjoy the first shift yes, up until the point where the faster tier cars were just too squirrelly for me.  Loved the visceral feel, even knowing the physics were wonky.

Hoping to see it for $40 or less somewhere.

Jason

I use the following site to track items I'm interested in at Amazon since they can drop prices randomly and for a short period of time:

http://www.camelcamelcamel.com/

GB_Simo

Quote from: webdanzer on April 20, 2011 @ 11:49:08 AM
I did enjoy the first shift yes, up until the point where the faster tier cars were just too squirrelly for me.  Loved the visceral feel, even knowing the physics were wonky.

Hoping to see it for $40 or less somewhere.

The visceral feel is still present and correct, Web, so you'll be happy with that.  I haven't played Shift 2 for a little while but I haven't offloaded it either, so I must think something of it.

The faster cars are still squirrelly, but I need to add a qualifier to that.  I could not drive the fast cars in the original Shift.  If I got them to within 20 feet of where I wanted to go through a corner, I came to view that as a success, while I'd regularly find myself completely out of control and completely unsure of why.  In Unleashed, I can put the fast cars exactly where I want them to go and when I crash, I always know what I did wrong.  They're still feather-light and incredibly responsive (unrealistically so, at odds with the sim-lite cars in the early stages, which are really good fun) but it's perfectly possible to drive them quickly and consistently.

The only major red flag, which might not even be one depending on your approach, is that when you make contact with another car, the game world comes over all screwy.  Suddenly your car is very light, prone to having a couple of wheels off the ground for no obvious reason and newly in love with being shoved into the barriers.  Don't hit the other cars and you won't have an issue.  Hit them anywhere that's not the middle of a corner or the middle of a long straight and you'll probably still be fine.
Writing about racing cars, again: petrolheadblogger.wordpress.com

Jason

Patch is out:

Improved steering, DLC trophies/achievements, and new safeguards against cheating;

- Input processing, tweaked default wheel settings and fixed force muting problem. Addresses wheel lag/feel issues. (somewhat understated - a large code change to reduce latency is included improve both input and wheel animation delay)
- Fix Upgrade / garage screen crash / hang.
- Fix Logitech FFB.
- Fix tech hang on vehicle selection if own loaner car and it's upgraded it past initial class.
- Fix occasional logic flaw for redeeming voucher codes.
- Fix restarting or quitting a race while slow motion is active in replay
- Improved validation of lap times, scores and speeds:
- Fix don't report unrealistic records to stat servers.
- Fix don't store unrealistic records to profile if playing online.
- Fix : Reset unrealistic stats stored in the profile after successful signin.
- Fix : All constants controlling record validation can be overridden from server-side config.
- Fix drift scores above 3600 not appearing in Records.
- Fix : Don't send lap times in game reports when playing drift (fixes issue with Nevada Circle Night track sharing leaderboard id with Asia Drag Strip)

Jason

Derek, there's someone on OS saying that Shift 2 will be $39 at Best Buy this week and I'd almost guarantee that Amazon will match that price. The new patch that was released yesterday is getting good feedback too.

Jason

Derek, did you ever buy the game at BB for $40? I can't tell you how much better this game is post-patch. It's definitely a better game than the original Shift now.

webdanzer

Not yet, but I'm still considering it.  I did grab SBK Superbike based on Adam's recommendation, though, and though I've barely touched it so far, I like what I see.

I've been having a racing itch I can't seem to scratch, lately.  i may very well end up with shift 2 soon!

Jason

Finally got a chance to try Shift 2 with my wheel and it's even better. I've already beaten a lot of my best lap times and I'm mastering a lot of corners that I couldn't nail previously.

webdanzer

I grabbed it.  Does this mean your times are set up for me to knock down? ;)

Jason

Quote from: webdanzer on May 13, 2011 @ 11:16:04 PM

I'm sure you'll have no problem beating my times, but if you start beating Adam's I'll be impressed.

Do yourself a favor a don't judge the game on first impressions - once you unlock better cars, it becomes a whole new game.

GB_Simo

Quote from: Jason on May 14, 2011 @ 09:34:34 AM
Quote from: webdanzer on May 13, 2011 @ 11:16:04 PM

I'm sure you'll have no problem beating my times, but if you start beating Adam's I'll be impressed.

Do yourself a favor a don't judge the game on first impressions - once you unlock better cars, it becomes a whole new game.

If you start beating my times, I'll have to start beating yours, and then where will we be?

Oddly enough, I was going to suggest that you do judge the game on first impressions, because the cars available in the early stages of the game are a lot of fun to drive and to race.  Let us know how you're finding it so far, mate.
Writing about racing cars, again: petrolheadblogger.wordpress.com

webdanzer

Haven't played yet, but hope to in the next couple of days.