News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

MLB The Show 17

Started by Jason, February 16, 2017 @ 09:48:22 AM

Jason

Loving the Retro camera in the regular game:

! No longer available

Jason

There are a lot of graphical glitches in 17 so far. My biggest complaint is how the graphics degrade after your pitch selection. This was an issue in 15 that was never fixed with a patch, so I'm going to be pretty pissed off if they leave it alone again, especially after fixing the issue in 16. There's also a glowing halo effect on helmets during night games. This isn't as big a deal to me since it doesn't happen during day games.

HDR seems to be a little buggy too. I have to change a bunch of settings on my TV to make HDR look good, even though I don't have to do that for other HDR-capable games. For now, I've just been leaving it off.

From a gameplay point of view, it plays great. The fielding is the best it's ever been. The player control is much more responsive and players react better to the situation they're in, especially in regards to getting the ball out on throws to first. I haven't seen any casual throws while a speedster is racing down the baseline.

The ball physics are much better too. I'm seeing a ton of hit variety and the spin/curve on hard shots looks great.

I'm just really hoping SDS fixes the graphical glitches in the game because they're impossible to not notice once you've seen them. What's worse is that I found these on my own without seeing others report them (because they're so obvious), although many others have now.

Ted

I'm getting more stutter on cut scene shots than with 16, but the players faces are far more detailed than last year's game.

I imported my save from 16.  It's the first time I've used this feature since I didn't own 15.  The import was my saved franchise that was @ Nov 2021 and it imported fine.  The only weird thing was one of my players was gone and replaced with a player that had a different name and face.  Everything else about him as the same, position, stats, etc...

Brad Company

The more I read impressions, it seems HDR is borked, and performance on OG PS4 MAY be a bit worse in terms of frame rate?
I wonder, since this is the first iteration with Pro enhancement, if the advanced resolution is problematic.
Optimistically, that should be able to be patched, but SDS is a small dev, and this ain't GTA or CoD.

Jason

I've noticed some of the frame rate issues with cut scenes too, but I can live with non-gameplay issues. Having said that, this has been a complaint since the game was first released on the PS4 and it's inexcusable that it's still an issue.

What I have also found is that the retro camera seems to be the smoothest for fielding and baserunning. I've been switching back and forth between retro and medium, but I think I've finally settled on retro for that reason alone.

I realize SDS is a small studio, but they're also a first-party developer and shouldn't have the graphical issues they're having after 4 releases on the PS4.

Jason

SDS playing dumb about the "graphics degradation after pitch" issue over on their forums. This is the same EXACT issue 15 had, so I had to go ahead and respond to their post.

Jason

I'm not going to purchase any future versions of The Show the day they're released, especially digitally. It seems I'm mostly disappointed in the odd number versions of the game (15 and 17), going back as far as 07 on the PS2.

The only thing preventing me from going back to 16 is the retro camera, although I have to admit that SDS finally fixed the HDR issue in the latest patch. Having said that, the very annoying post-pitch graphics issue has not been touched and probably won't be since they never addressed this SAME EXACT ISSUE in 15.

It also baffles me that after all these years and complaints they can't improve the framerate. I shouldn't have to buy a PS4 Pro just get a stable framerate...even if it means offering a 720p or 900p option on the standard PS4. I realize they're a small studio, but as a first-party studio, they should look into getting some help directly from Sony to optimize their game.

Finally, it annoys me how that arrogant jackass Ramone Russell is all over every forum before the game is released and then disappears when the problems start showing up. People can complain about EA as much as they want, but I really hope they start producing another baseball game in the near future.

Brad Company

MVP 2005 still the GOAT. These days, sports games are a poor choice for day one purchases. The value play is the mid to late season budget purchase when at least some of the bugs are fixed.

Jason

One very important feature (to me) missing from MVP 2005 was zone hitting, which was added to NCAA Baseball 06 and 07. It's a shame people are more interested in licenses and rosters than actual gameplay because those two games were the best from strictly a gameplay point of view.

Jason

I think I'm moving back to The Show 16 for the final stretch of the season. I'll probably buy it digitally for $20 just for ease of access.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Jason

Amazon gave me just under $5 for my disc version, so I went ahead and ordered MLB 16 digitally.

Brad Company

Yeah, I still have 16, and haven't seen a reason to get 17.

Jason

I'll eventually learn to stop buying The Show on odd numbered years.

Brad Company

This is now 10 bucks. Worth getting and deleting 16?

Jason

Quote from: Brad Company on December 27, 2017 @ 06:21:42 PM
This is now 10 bucks. Worth getting and deleting 16?
I prefer 16, but for $10 you can't go wrong trying it out yourself. It does have PS Pro support, which is another positive for you.