News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim

Started by Jason, September 09, 2016 @ 12:22:19 PM

Jason

From what I've seen and heard so far, I'm not impressed at all with Sony's two new consoles. My biggest complaint with both consoles is the lack of a UHD disc drive, especially when Microsoft put one in the new Xbox One Slim. I understand Sony is trying to keep cost down, so I'll give them a pass on the new Slim, but the omission of a UHD disc drive on the PS4 Pro is inexcusable. 

From a design point of view, I think both consoles are pretty ugly, especially the PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro consumes almost twice as much power as the original PS4 (310w vs 165w) and only comes with a 1TB drive. I know it's easy enough to upgrade the hard drive, but they should have offered a bigger option.

Another big issue with the PS4 Pro is that you'll need a 4K TV with HDR to take full advantage of its power. Even then, older games will have to be updated to take advantage of the extra power and won't just run better on the new system. The graphical differences will be minimal on a standard 1080p HDTV except for a possibly better frame rate.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, but I can say confidently that I have no interest in either of Sony's new systems and will remain quite satisfied with my original PS4.

Jason

Forgot to mention that the standard PS4 is getting an HDR upgrade soon (this month), so that eliminates one of the Pro's big advantages.

Brad Company

I will trade my OG PS4 up to a Pro. Going forward, all games will have Pro mode. This will have benefits for 1080p set owners, as well, with enhanced textures and better framerates.

Jason

Jason

These YouTube comparison videos are useless, especially when the main upgrades are resolution and HDR.

Brad Company

Jason

That was a very interesting video and drives the point home that even though the PS4 Pro isn't overly powerful, it's priced very competitively. I'm still not thrilled with the console, but that could change next holiday season with an lower price and a strong library of supported games, especially if I make the jump to a 4K TV too.

Brad Company

Yeah, how I figure it, is trading my existing 3 year old OG PS4 before it starts to maybe wanna croak, to the newer sexy is probably good proactive play.
Being 4K ready is icing on the cake.

Jason

I should think about doing the same for my son. His launch unit sounds like a 747 taking off. Hopefully someplace other than Gamestop offers a good trade-in program.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Jason

There's some good stuff in there. I had no idea about the extra 1GB of slower, DDR3 memory used primary for multitasking apps, but it's a nice addition.

It's a good thing I'm not running for office because I may be starting to flip-flop on the PS4 Pro. I'm still not completely sold on it, but it's definitely warming up to me.

Brad Company

Trust me, it's gonna be HUUUGE.
I'm gonna buy one and make you pay for it. ;D

Jason

Quote from: Brad Company on October 20, 2016 @ 07:59:47 PM
Trust me, it's gonna be HUUUGE.
I'm gonna buy one and make you pay for it. ;D

:)) :)) :))

Brad Company

Jason

Nice. What PS4 Pro Enhanced games do you have? I'd like to hear how they play on a 1080p TV...unless you upgraded there too?