News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

PS4 Hard Drive Upgrade...

Started by Jason, April 01, 2015 @ 06:25:54 PM

Jason

I've finally decided to upgrade my PS4 hard drive to a 2TB drive. I found one on Amazon and I'm just waiting for it to drop back down to $79.99: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRHTSK4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I realize it's an external USB drive but it contains a 2.5" drive inside. You just open the case, remove the 2TB drive, install it into your PS4 and then put your old PS4 500GB hard drive in the case so you still have a decent sized USB drive. For whatever reason, it's much cheaper to do this than just buy a bare-bones 2.5" hard drive.

Ted

Because it is an external drive is it slower RPM and if so would that possibly cause some slowdowns on games you play?

Jason

It's 5400 rpm which is the same as the hard drive used in the PS4. It actually dropped back down to $79.99 this afternoon so I should have it on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Jason

I'm backing up my PS4 right now. It's estimating 6 hours to copy the 400GB of data to the external backup drive I have. I was planning on running the backup overnight but I ran into some issues with my Toshiba external drive being recognized by my PS4. I borrowed my son's external drive today, copied all the data to my computer and then converted the file system from NTFS to FAT32. So far it's working fine with my PS4.

Tomorrow when the new drive arrives I'll remove it from the external casing, install it into the PS4, run the system initialization off a USB thumb drive and finally restore the data from the backup.

Jason

New hard drive has been installed, system initialization completed and now restoring my backup to the new drive.

Jason

New hard drive installation went smoothly with no issues.

Brad Company

I really need to do this myself.

Jason

Quote from: Brad Company on April 06, 2015 @ 05:44:31 AM
I really need to do this myself.

The new backup/restore feature really makes this painless as long as you have a spare external drive to backup to. My biggest issue was reformatting my external USB drive from NTFS to FAT32, which meant copying everything on that drive to my computer first, converting it to FAT32 (using the free Minitool Partition Wizard) and then converting it back to NTFS when I was done restoring my PS4 and moving all my data back to it.

Brad Company

I would only need to backup game saves. I would just re-install and download everything else.

Jason

Quote from: Brad Company on April 07, 2015 @ 04:51:56 PM
I would only need to backup game saves. I would just re-install and download everything else.

Then it's really easy. You just need a thumb drive for that. You don't even need to use the new backup/restore feature as the PS4 has been able to save game saves to a USB drive for a while now.

BDSooner72

You can also send all your game saves to the cloud. Then copy them back to the new hard drive, since you are a PS+ member.