News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Personal Gaming Thread

Started by Jason, January 31, 2014 @ 05:25:53 PM

BDSooner72

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/days-gone-lead-says-dont-complain-if-theres-no-sequel-if-you-didnt-buy-it-full-price/

Quote“I do have an opinion on something that your audience may find of interest, and it might piss some of them off,” Garvin replied. “If you love a game, buy it at fucking full price. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen gamers say ‘yeah, I got that on sale, I got it through PS Plus, whatever’.”

Quote“But how do you know you love a game until you’ve played it?” Jaffe responded.

Quote“I’m just saying, you don’t, but don’t complain if a game doesn’t get a sequel if it wasn’t supported at launch,” Garvin replied. “It’s like, God of War got whatever number millions of sales at launch and, you know, Days Gone didn’t. [I’m] just speaking for me personally as a developer, I don’t work for Sony, I don’t know what the numbers are.

That is one fine take there, especially during a pandemic where many people do not have the funds they once had. Especially for a game that is at 71% on Metacritic.

Jason

Not to mention that most games are a buggy mess and sometimes incomplete when they're first released. Why should I pay full price for a broken game when I can get it for half the price when it's patched and complete a few months later.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Ted

Another one that probably shouldn't be let near an interviewer.

If the game didn't sell well enough to garner a sequel it either wasn't good enough, the demographic wasn't big enough, or it wasn't marketed enough.  That's assuming it could have sold more than it did.  I tend to believe the markets are pretty efficient, especially in an industry as big as this one so I think it sold the exact number of copies at full price that it was able to.

I mean technically he's not wrong.  They needed to sell more copies to justify the investment in a sequel.  He was just kind of an asshole about it and wants to lay the blame at the feet of the market instead of the developers/publishers failure to meet expectations.

BDSooner72

Xbox Series S and the SSD 1TB hard drive arrived. That is one small ass hard drive.

Not my image but at $219 it thinks very highly of itself. At least MS offers the option to upgrade. Sony has no options until this Summer and will be interesting to see how much their ssd external runs.  You can use a standard external hard drives on both the PS5 and X series, but they can only play the older games or be used to copy next gen/next gen optimized games for later transfer back to ssd.

The interface is exactly the same as the Xbox One. It just runs much smoother. Console is also really small and really quiet. Still waiting for The Show and Madden to download to bask in their "next gen" beauty.  ;) I did buy Bright Memory which is one of the few games that is only available on next gen systems. It's $8 and a glorified tech FPS/Action demo made by one person but it will give me something to do as I wait.

Irony is I have a 50mbps connection so it will be a long ride. Meanwhile the Internet Company I use is in the ally installing fiber, which would be nice to have but looking forward to 1GB download in the near future.

BDSooner72

https://www.ign.com/articles/battlefield-titanfall-and-more-ea-games-get-fps-boost-on-xbox-series-xs

The full list of EA games getting FPS boost is as follows;

Battlefield 1 - 120Hz on Xbox Series X, Off by Default on Series X
    Battlefield 4 - 120Hz on Xbox Series X/S
    Battlefield V - 120Hz on Xbox Series X, Off by Default on Series X
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst - 120Hz on Xbox Series X
    Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare - 120Hz on Xbox Series X/S
    Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville - 120Hz on Xbox Series X/S, Off by Default on Series X
    Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 - 120Hz on Xbox Series X/S
    Sea of Solitude - 60Hz on Xbox Series X/S
    Star Wars Battlefront - 120Hz on Xbox Series X/S
    Star Wars Battlefront 2 - 120Hz on Xbox Series X, Off by Default on Series X
    Titanfall - 120Hz on Xbox Series X
    Titanfall 2 - 120Hz on Xbox Series X/S, Off by Default on Series X
    Unravel 2 - 120Hz on Xbox Series X/S, Off by Default on Series X

When you see "Off by Default on Series X," that is due to the fact that some titles need their resolution to be reduced to ensure it "runs smoothly and plays great" at these higher framerates.

BDSooner72

Those framerate differences are a welcome sight and Bethesda has a bunch of games getting it soon.

Just downloaded PGA 2K21 and they added a 60fps option to the next gen systems and it is so smooth compared to 30.

BDSooner72

I missed the memo. Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 each got the 60FPS upgrade last month.

Jason

You beat me to it. I was about to post the article from Major Nelson's site. Xbox is killing it so far this generation.

BDSooner72

Quote from: Jason on April 22, 2021 @ 03:36:44 PM
You beat me to it. I was about to post the article from Major Nelson's site. Xbox is killing it so far this generation.

They have done amazing things in regards to backwards compatibility for some time.

BDSooner72

Just downloaded Second Extinction on Gamepass. Basically Left 4 Dead with dinosaurs.

Have not played it yet but I looked into the developer to see what they had done previously (Avalanche Studios Group) not the same Avalanche behind the Just Cause Games. They developed Rage 2 which was okay, The Hunter; Call of the Wild, which is a hunting game I have not played but has a beautiful; open world. Then there was a game I had not heard of called Generation Zero. It did not list Single player as an option but it has both single player and online coop after watching the trailer.

It is a game from 2019 and the reviews were basically great open world with little to do, plus buggy. IGN gave it a 4. So I was about to dismiss the game until I saw that they have been adding updates and are still adding them. Most people that play the game now love it. It's basically Fallout 76 in terms of being panned to turning into a pretty good game. So I bit the bullet and bout it for $30. So far it has been a blast.  It is an open world game where you are hunted by robots and you spend a ton of time scavenging for gear. What interested me most is this is a Swedish team and the world is based on Sweden in the 90's. It's apparently a small dev team on this game and you do get a bunch of reused building assets and it can be buggy but the core gameplay is pretty fun.

BDSooner72

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-series-xs-getting-74-more-games-with-fps-boost

https://majornelson.com/fpsboost/

As someone who played Fallout 76 on the old system and now on the Series S with Frame boost to 60. The difference is night and day.  Microsoft just keeps killing it.

Meanwhile at Sony.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/3/22417560/sony-ps4-cross-play-confidential-documents-epic-games-agreements

Yikes.

Double Yikes.

Triple Yikes.  :))

BDSooner72

Full list of the FPS Boost games.

Jason

Reading shit like that makes me feel like I'm way too old for gaming.