News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Personal Gaming Thread

Started by Jason, January 31, 2014 @ 05:25:53 PM

BDSooner72

That is crazy, not just removing the game from the store but Sony actually willing to give refunds. Sony was always kind of a dick in that department. Recall once they did not want to refund a pre-order of a game I bought but had not released.  Pretty sure they have loosened up since then, it was a few years ago.

Odd thing is, I have not had a single crash since the last patch and that was released right after launch. I have beaten the main game and half of the side stiff.  Just under 50 hours clocked in. Got my moneys worth but I am also not playing it on the standard PS4 or Xbox One.

Ted

Especially for Jason the retired boxer......

My new obsession:  The Thrill of the Fight!

8 bucks on Steam

That's me, the invisible man.

So, I don't know how to box and I've only ever boxed a few times for fun with friends in my garage when I was in my late teens early 20s.  That being said, this game makes me want to study it some and maybe learn some technique.  This was my last fight last night, so I was pretty gassed going in, having done about 30 minutes of sparring and fighting during the day (I'm really out of shape right now).  Still, no excuses, I'm bad even when fresh.  The best part is the only thing that keeps me from playing more is I need to rest and recover  ;D.

The opponent is the third one you unlock (beat an opponent and the next one unlocks).  First guy is a fat sparring partner who is slow.  The second guy "Melky" is small and weak.  I haven't been able to get past Ugly Joe.  He keeps beating me by UD.

Some reference for the video.  The punches I throw you can see if they're blocked (white flash), land (blue flash), land well or on a weak spot like the chin or temple (yellow flash).  You can also see red splotches (cut and bleeding).  I cut ugly joe in the second round I think and I tried to work that cut with jabs.  I don't know if the ref will stop the fight for cuts getting worse or anything, but I'm experimenting with the game right now.  You can see all sorts of visible damage on your opponent, redness, swelling, bruising, and the aforementioned cuts and bleeding.

Now, you don't see hits on yourself in the replay, but when you are under the hood in vr it's first person and when you get rocked you lose color, or see double vision for awhile, and the crowd gets muffled.  In the replay the only cues you have to me getting rocked (and I was getting rocked constantly by Ugly) is the loud connections, the grunts, and the crowd sound gets muffled.  That's the only real downside is the damage being done to the human in replay isn't conveyed very well.  But playing you know exactly how badly you are doing.

Ugly works the body alot and I'm trying to improve defending the body.  I think when blocking you have to be a bit more exaggerated than in real life, but I don't really know.  Also, I realize in replay I'm really stationary.  Right now my play space is limited, but I could at least bob and weave more so I'm working on that.  I want to expand my play area so I can more easily circle around.

In the gym you have a speed bag, a heavy bag, and that bag that rebounds around suspended from both the floor and ceiling, forget what it's called.

It's very customizable, rounds, minutes, rest time, and power modifier.  You can leave the game on auto modifier or modify it up to 2.5x power.  I let it auto and I noticed in 3 days my natural modifier came down from 1.63 to 1.45 so I think that means I'm punching more effectively, but I don't know for sure.

After the fight you can see the stats of score by round, punches thrown, punches that caused damage, jabs thrown, and power punches thrown.  You get all that from your opponent as well.  In my first bouts three days ago it was like the old fight night stats with over 100 punches thrown, but since I tried to adjust my style I'm throwing about even with the AI, 35-50.

Game is really fucking fun.  I want to play all the time but I'm fat lol.

Jason, do you have any pointers for a 55 year old fat amateur? 

I'll post more videos as I fight my way up the ladder if anyone is interested.

Jason

I was really confused as to why you were really tired until I realized halfway through your post that it was a VR game and you were actually throwing the punches.

I like the slower, more realistic gameplay compared to the arcade style fighting in Fight Night where punches are flying all over the place. I was able to watch the fight a few times and put together some tips for you. First of all, Ugly Joe throws mostly left hooks and right crosses that are slow and telegraphed. I'm not sure how much control you have, but you need to slip under his left hook and come up with a hard right cross to the head. He telegraphs the right cross too, so you can hit him with a straight, hard jab before he throws it or slip it and counter with a left hook of your own.

He's also keeping his hands very high, so you should probably try fight low and go to the body more. When he's got his hands up that high covering his face, a straight jab or hard right to the gut will being them down. Another option, if possible in the game, is to get close and throw a right uppercut when he's covering up like that, which I did see you do a few times successfully. If you do land it successfully, try to follow with a left hook to the head.

It's hard to tell if you're doing this because your arms are invisible, but drop your elbows to block his body shots. Most importantly, keep moving your head and definitely post videos of your way up the ranks.

Brad Company

If things get tough, kick him in the nuts.

Jason

I was excited to see Maneater listed as one of the PS+ games for January until I realized it was the PS5 version.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

BDSooner72

Modder saves Cyberpunk on PC. 3rd person Camera now available on nexus mods.

Jason

That's fucking annoying...if a modder can add a 3rd person camera to it, there's no reason CDPR can't or won't.

BDSooner72

Did you watch the video?  It's not a pleasant thing to watch. I can't see 3rd person being high up on the list right now. The devs need to make the arcade/pachinko machines playable. How that was omitted is beyond me.

BDSooner72

Bought Immortals Fenyx Rising. Had little knowledge of the game but have been desperately looking for something new to play. Did some research and it has a big comparisons to Breath of the Wild which is one of my favorite games. Similar combat, tons of puzzles. Looking forward for it to download so I can jump in.

Jason

I just bought Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. I had bought it on disc for my older son when it first came out in 2019, but I promised my younger son I'd get it digitally for him when it went on sale. I watched my older son beat it and was sort of interested in it myself.

We've also been having fun with Planet Coaster. I used to play the original Roller Coaster Tycoon on the PC back in the late 90's, so this is a nice upgrade for me.

BDSooner72

Immortals Fenyx Rising is an absolute blast. It's like getting the Breath of the Wild sequel and not having to buy another Switch. They basically made a carbon copy of the game, made enemies a bit spongier but removed the great annoyance from BOTW with weapons breaking.

It really is that similar.

Jason

Quote from: BDSooner72 on January 15, 2021 @ 09:26:15 PM
Immortals Fenyx Rising is an absolute blast. It's like getting the Breath of the Wild sequel and not having to buy another Switch. They basically made a carbon copy of the game, made enemies a bit spongier but removed the great annoyance from BOTW with weapons breaking.

It really is that similar.

I can see myself buying this game when it drops in price. I think my younger son would really like it too.

Jason

My son and I have decided to definitely get Fenyx Rising. We've been watching a ton of gameplay videos, including the comparison video you posted. It was apparently on sale for $40 last month, but Ubisoft games have a history of dropping to $20 pretty quickly.

BDSooner72

You can get 60+ hours out of this one. For me it will be closer to 100 because I walk/fly everywhere instead of using the mounts. There are numerous hidden quests that do not show up as you scan the area. You just have to find them naturally. Loving it so much I bought the season pass.

Almost 20 hours in and still on the second island. What is most impressive about this game is outside of a crash, it has been absolutely bug free.  Also it does not take itself serious and is pretty funny at times. You have Zeus and Prometheus basically doing the play by play on your adventure and Hermes, being Hermes.

Jason

I do have a question...in one of the videos we were watching, the player jumped off a ledge on his horse and started gliding, while the horse kept falling. What happens to your horse in that situation and can you just call for your horse once you land and have it show up?