News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Personal Gaming Thread

Started by Jason, January 31, 2014 @ 05:25:53 PM

Jason

I debating on picking up Project Cars 3 this weekend. The price dropped to $45 today and will be on sale until Tuesday. I've always had a hard time dialing in good steering settings on PC 1 and 2, so I'm fine with 3 being a GRID clone that runs at 60fps.

Brad Company

Quote from: Jason on September 20, 2020 @ 10:53:32 PM
I ended up getting The Show 20 and like most other annual sports games, there's no major upgrades, but they did make a lot of subtle changes that add up to a nice upgrade. I don't think the changes warrant a $60 purchase, but I'm happy with paying $20 for them.

The interface is one of the things I'd noticed right away. I realize it doesn't really affect gameplay, but the upgraded look of the game really gives it a fresh look. The hitting information, pitch types and the balls/strikes indicators all have a new modern look. I also like that they added the pitch history back to the L2 button.

Another area that was improved was fielding. Fielders are more responsive and the new first-step mechanic really makes the difference between good and bad player more noticeable. They've also added some more information to the accuracy meter for throws home.

The frame rate has been pretty good at the stadiums I've played at so far. This is definitely one game I'd love to try on a PS4 Pro though.

I grabbed it, as well. I think it plays a bit better than 19, runs a bit better, too.

Jason

Quote from: Brad Company on September 26, 2020 @ 09:25:22 PM
I grabbed it, as well. I think it plays a bit better than 19, runs a bit better, too.

What mode do you use on your PS4 Pro? Balanced, Fast or 4K?

Jason

I ended up getting Project Cars 3 and love the new driving physics. I wish the cars handled as well in 1 and 2. Thankfully, you're able to turn off the XP and other nonsense notifications that constantly popped up during races.

It's been a nice surprise after being disappointed with Assetto Corsa Competizione.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Brad Company

Quote from: Jason on September 26, 2020 @ 09:46:54 PM
Quote from: Brad Company on September 26, 2020 @ 09:25:22 PM

What mode do you use on your PS4 Pro? Balanced, Fast or 4K?

Balanced, 1440p with HDR.

Jason

I really hope Sony drops the price of the PS4 Pro to $200 this holiday season. I'd jump on it at that price.

Jason

Confirmed HOTAS support has pretty much guaranteed my purchase of Star Wars: Squadrons on Friday.

Jason

Quote from: Jason on September 30, 2020 @ 02:14:12 PM
Confirmed HOTAS support has pretty much guaranteed my purchase of Star Wars: Squadrons on Friday.
Confirmed first-person only gameplay has now guaranteed I won't be buying it. I could have sworn I saw third-person gameplay videos.

BDSooner72

It kinda makes sense for that type of game. Would you get as much motion sickness being inside whatever thoee things are as you would on foot? Maybe buy it for the kids and give it a try. I did search and there is a third person mode but only for spectating. 

Jason

It's not the motion sickness. I just prefer playing those types of games with a third-person camera. Even with racing games, I always use the chase cameras instead of the cockpit cameras.

Jason

I've been watching some videos and now I'm rethinking my decision...again.

Jason

I'm most likely going to pass on Squadrons and get Mafia Remastered instead. That 1930's city/setting looks amazing.

Ted

Had a chance to try VR gaming for a couple nights Thursday and Friday.  Jake had a buddy who was upgrading his setup and sold him a Samsung Odyssey with controllers, and also a set of rudder pedals for $200 bucks.  He's been enjoying it, but couldn't play for a couple of nights with his squaddies so lent it to me to set up and experiment on my rig.  I'm pretty impressed with how much different flight simulation feels with it.  I couldn't get xplane to work with it and MSFS 2020 doesn't support it yet, but DCS World was pretty awe inspiring.  I got hit by a SAM at one point and with my tail blown off was falling, inverted toward the ground.  I actually closed my eyes and ducked in reaction to the ground rushing up at me.  Elite Dangerous was the most impressive just from a sheer scale and size feel.  Flying toward and docking with a space platform, and also flying around a planet while looking up and around me at it's giant orb shape was spectacular.  Surprisingly, No Man's Sky didn't do much for me in VR and the game I was really looking forward to in VR, Derail Valley, was the major disappointment.  I just didn't get much out of its VR experience.  I didn't try any racing games, but I'm going to assume flight and auto simming is where it's strong for me. 

He has another squad buddy that might be upgrading a reverb g1 to a g2 and may be passing along his g1.  If it's a good deal I might go for it.  Or I'm thinking about giving myself a Valve Index for my birthday.  But it's pretty expensive stuff......  I like flying in VR though.  I think once MSFS supports it I'll really have to pull the trigger on a headset.

Jason

I've never tried VR gaming but have always been interested in it. If done correctly, I would imagine it could be pretty amazing.

I did go on a ride in Busch Gardens in Virginia (Battle for Eire) that uses VR and was amazed at how you could look all around the 3D world as if you were really in it.

I've considered getting the VR set for the PS4, but will probably wait for the PS5 version. Besides being more powerful, I'm hoping for more games that offer real support for it. Flyering, racing and fantasy games would be my preferred genres, along with theme park games like Planet Coaster.