News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Personal Gaming Thread

Started by Jason, January 31, 2014 @ 05:25:53 PM

Jason

Quote from: Ted on September 08, 2020 @ 09:52:52 PM
New PC has been flawless.  Old PC collecting dust in the corner so I grabbed an unused monitor from Jake and hooked it up on another table in the room.  Now my 9 year old grandson is playing No Man's Sky on it on the weekends.

Have you had a chance to try of MSFS 2020 on your new PC?

Every computer and laptop in my house has been recycled from customers, including my own. I have one accountant customer who wanted to replace all the computers in his office, so I ended up with a bunch of Dell Inspiron desktops with an i5 CPU, 8GB of RAM, 1TB hard drives and Windows 10. I set three of them up for me, and both of my sons. The only thing I did to mine was add a second 4TB hard drive.

I just scored an HP laptop with the same specs plus a 17 inch screen in perfect shape from another client. I use that when I need a laptop on the road and my younger son is currently using it for remote learning since he's using Google Meet all day.

Ted

Yes,  I'm running on ultra settings, granted at 1080p on 27".  I can maintain 30+ FPS anywhere and mid 50's in less crowded parts of the world which I fly in alot due to using FSEconomy.

Thinking of upgrading now to a 1440 monitor, but not sure I want to sacrifice the level of detail I'm getting in the sim.  However, I might do it for the experience I would get in other games.

Sim-wise, 2020 is a very mixed bag.  My opinion is that it is significantly behind X-plane 11 and DCS World in terms of pure simulation of flight and modeling systems on aircraft.  Significantly.

It is so far ahead in visuals of anything I've ever experienced in a sim.  Every other sim has always had different levels of cartoon looks.  2020 has a certain fidelity to the visuals that is pretty stunning.  Especially in certain times of day when the lighting is a certain way.

I think it was definitely pushed out the door ahead of schedule.  It feels like a beta.  There's lots in the sim that isn't working and lot's of aircraft systems are still not modeled, correctly, or at all.  Real time weather is hit and miss.  Live traffic often doesn't render.   I think the interior of the aircraft is substandard to the exterior visuals of both the aircraft and the scenery. The ATC is same shit ATC that's been around since FSX (but no sim does ATC well so it's a minor knock).

It's not much better as a simulation than say American Truck Simulator is a simulation of what it's like to drive a rig (and I know what it's like to drive a rig), but like American Truck Simulator there's something compelling about it and even though it doesn't feel very realistic I still want keep loading it up.

It really really really lacks all of the neat things you can do with X-plane, but it's so goddamn shiny that it's hard to go back right now.  I think the strongest thing I can say in its favor is it really makes you appreciate how gorgeous the planet is from a flight deck.

I think anyone with limited experience with flight sims will be blown away by it.  Its simulation is sophisticated enough to not feel simple for a newbie.

Jason

Quote from: Ted on September 12, 2020 @ 09:49:53 PM
I think anyone with limited experience with flight sims will be blown away by it.  Its simulation is sophisticated enough to not feel simple for a newbie.

That's probably the number one reason I'm interested in it. I'm obviously not a pilot, so I've always found older versions to be overwhelming.

Ted

Quote from: Jason on September 13, 2020 @ 11:10:07 AM
Quote from: Ted on September 12, 2020 @ 09:49:53 PM

That's probably the number one reason I'm interested in it. I'm obviously not a pilot, so I've always found older versions to be overwhelming.

Took a flight around your home airport (KMJX) yesterday.  Cool area.  You have a nice airport nearby.

Jason

Lol. That's where they give the driving test. I'll be there with my daughter in 2 months.

You should check out Atlantic City airport. You'll get a nice coastal view of Cape May, Wildwood, Ocean City and Atlantic City.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Jason

MLB The Show 20 has just dropped to $24 for PS Plus members.

Brad Company

Does it do anything 19 doesn't?

Jason

It has the new pitching rules (3 batter minimum), better fielding and supposedly better hitting physics.

Jason

I ended up getting The Show 20 and like most other annual sports games, there's no major upgrades, but they did make a lot of subtle changes that add up to a nice upgrade. I don't think the changes warrant a $60 purchase, but I'm happy with paying $20 for them.

The interface is one of the things I noticed right away. I realize it doesn't really affect gameplay, but the upgraded look of the game really gives it a fresh look. The hitting information, pitch types and the balls/strikes indicators all have a new modern look. I also like that they added the pitch history back to the L2 button.

Another area that was improved was fielding. Fielders are more responsive and the new first-step mechanic really makes the difference between good and bad players more noticeable. They've also added some more information to the accuracy meter for throws home.

The frame rate has been pretty good at the stadiums I've played at so far. This is definitely one game I'd love to try on a PS4 Pro though.

Jason

Quote from: Jason on September 13, 2020 @ 03:13:02 PM
Lol. That's where they give the driving test. I'll be there with my daughter in 2 months.

You should check out Atlantic City airport. You'll get a nice coastal view of Cape May, Wildwood, Ocean City and Atlantic City.

Someone posted a flight down the Jersey shore:

Ted

Jason

Quote from: Ted on September 22, 2020 @ 01:23:08 AM
Did you like what you see?
Absolutely. My only complaint is that they didn't have the Barnegat lighthouse in the game.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

BDSooner72

So Tennis World Tour 2 is out. Early on it is just crazy how bad the timing window for the swing is right now. Completely unpredictable and starting a career mode just a cluter^^%& at best. Should be named Unforced Errors 2 because that is how most of the points are won for the AI and Human. It's like they had Big Ant bring over everything bad from AO Tennis 2 and leave all the great customization stuff behind.

Could be saved with a patch or two or three with the swing but right now exhibitions are the only thing tolerable and even  then the timing is still an issue, making it tough to hit power shots where you want them to go. It's just you are playing with higher level players that simply do not hit every other shot like Tom Hanks in Bachelor Party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POpe3rlX79Q

Jason

The reviews have been pretty bad for it. It's kind of a shame as I was looking forward to it.

BDSooner72

Same here. There is still hope that a patch or two can make the swing better.