News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Personal Gaming Thread

Started by Jason, January 31, 2014 @ 05:25:53 PM

BDSooner72

Finally a release date for Until Dawn!  August 25th for some slasher horror.  Odd date, releasing the same week as Madden. It's been in development for years, you would think they could have held off until late October.

Jason

Brent, have you put any time into The Witcher 3? Didn't the patch and DLC drop today for it?

BDSooner72

Played it for about 10 hours and it just never clicked for me. I disliked the combat too much to continue on. It did take a really big downgrade in the graphics dept and never wowed me they way Skyrim did last gen. Skyrim was just your basic combat, with some enchanting to make your weapons and armor stronger. The Witcher requires you to learn the enemies, which sword to use, type of bomb/sign to spell, etc.  Far more is required to defeat enemies than just hack and slash (which is good thing for most RPG fans). Not to mention the text for all this stuff was so tiny I had to get up from the couch numerous times (something they plan to fix).  The side quests, at least early on were nicely done. Much more detailed than go to point A and kill things. 

I did like the card game and would have liked to have seen all the other places, story, etc but the combat and controls just never felt right.  Did not feel like slogging my way through a game just for that. There is a crossbow eventually and if one could have played the whole way using that as a primary weapon, I could have soldiered on, unfortunately the swords are the key.

Jason

I thought it may be a little too RPG-y (yes, I just made that word up) for me and your description confirmed my thoughts. It sounds like there's way too much to worry about with combat...I just want to start hacking at enemies.

BDSooner72

Yeah, having to put certain ointments on your blade to be successful against an enemy was a bit much for me.  Felt like watching my friends play D&D as a kid and wondering WTF about this is enjoyable exactly? 

BDSooner72

MX vs ATV coming to next gen.

http://www.amazon.com/MX-vs-ATV-Supercross-Encore-PlayStation/dp/B00TKLFOO2/ref=sr_1_19?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1432794008&sr=1-19

I rented the last one they made using Play Now and it was horrible. Rainbow studios needs to go back to what made their games sell. The open world layouts were like crack (blatant copy of Tony Hawk but it was a blast). Then jump back to the PC days when you made MM2 and had a kick ass track editor (lids like to create stuff, see Trials series).

Jason

I almost pulled the trigger on Destiny last night now that it dropped to $20 at Amazon but decided not to buy it after reading how boring it is as a single-player game.

Brad Company

Quote from: Jason on May 28, 2015 @ 11:34:51 AM
I almost pulled the trigger on Destiny last night now that it dropped to $20 at Amazon but decided not to buy it after reading how boring it is as a single-player game.

Mmm, that is way over-simplified. There is metric poop-tons to do all by your lonesome.
Also, there are some experienced hands around here to help you out big-time. :P
The core gameplay is sublime.

BDSooner72

While I doubt I will ever touch Destiny again, I think you are doing yourself a disservice. At $20 it is worth it to play the single player. It is a bit short and the story is meh but as Brad said the core mechanics (shooting and controls) are absolutely top notch.

Now with all that said I would highly recommend Borderlands Collection over Destiny by a long shot. While the core shooting mechanic is no Destiny, everything else is x10 better.  A shitload more guns, tons of things to do, far higher use of elemental weapons/environment, with hardly any grinding as there is always something new to explore. Borderlands 2 story alone is a good 50+ hours with side missions and that is not touching the DLC and Headhunter packs. There is even a DLC, Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep that I would rate higher than Destiny.  Plus no unskippable, tedious, cutscenes. Most of the story is told, in game.  Plus another 30+ hours of things to do with The Pre-Sequel, which is pretty fun in it's own right. Moon jumping, butt slams, cryo weapons and lasers.

Plus there is one DLC that revolves around Wrestling. Mr. Torque, nuff said.

http://youtu.be/Tzc86ifgf-0

Brad Company

Playing Destiny with friends online is the best experience video gaming I've ever had.
Once you have some regular peeps, the game opens up in a way that is hard to describe, and goes way beyond  any other game I've played.

BDSooner72

Quote from: Brad Company on May 29, 2015 @ 06:20:11 PM
Playing Destiny with friends online is the best experience video gaming I've ever had.
Once you have some regular peeps, the game opens up in a way that is hard to describe, and goes way beyond  any other game I've played.

The key is regular peeps, when I was playing the crap out of Destiny I had a good fireteam and agree 100% that doing Raids and Nightfalls with them was a blast. Playing with randoms because you needed (x) more for a Raid on the other hand...  Played with my one British friend and his group of Brits and Scotts and what a nightmare.  The average British female voice is considered by many to be grating, at the very least. To have that same voice telling everyone else where to go and what to do because she was under-leveled was overly grating.  To have her baby crying the whole time. >:(

BDSooner72

Uncharted 4 confirmed to ship before April 2016.

Jason

Quote from: BDSooner72 on May 29, 2015 @ 07:10:18 PM
Uncharted 4 confirmed to ship before April 2016.

I hope the remastered trilogy comes out this fall.

Jason

I don't doubt that Borderlands 2 is a great game, but I'm really not a fan of FPS games. I'm willing to give Destiny a shot because the graphics and environments look amazing. I'll probably download the 17GB demo this weekend so I can at least get a feel for it.

BDSooner72

That is a -1 Karma for not even considering Borderlands but a +1 for giving Destiny a shot.

You know what, -1 because Borderlands 2 has a melee character and you could have been the conductor of the poop train. Plus it would have given me someone on my friends list with the game.

http://youtu.be/aZqmQT89kqU