News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Personal Gaming Thread

Started by Jason, January 31, 2014 @ 05:25:53 PM

Jason

Here's a list of games I plan on buying over the next few months once they drop to $20:

• PES '20 (will possibly buy for $40)
  • FIFA '20
  • Madden '20
  • F1 2019
  • NASCAR 4
  • Crash Team Racing (for my younger son)
  • Ace Combat 7
  • NBA Live '20 (if it's even released)

BDSooner72

my buy list for the rest of the year, outside of some indie games that pop up.

Borderlands 3 - Preorderd $99 version with all the DLC because Borderlands DLC never fails to disappoint.
Outer Worlds, Gears 5 and The Blair Witch game - Will launch with GamePass, woo hoo!
FIFA 20 - Will buy at launch of standard version.
Destiny 2 Shadowkeep - Iffy but I always cave in.
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD - Love the Super Monkey games.
Doom Eternal -  Launch game.

Jason

I forgot to add Grid to my list.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

BDSooner72

In anticipation of Borderlands 3 releasing in just over a month I am going through all the games and DLC one more time with characters I have never used.  Just started with the Borderlands GOTY and I have never used a Siren in any of the BL games, I was always a soldier/turret guy so Roland and Axton were my favs. Lilith is just straight up OP, the phasewalking action is just so useful in many different ways. Based on this I will be going with the Siren Maya in BL2. Then I will go for the real test and use Claptrap for the Pre-Sequel. He has the absolute worst skill trees and his action skill is random. Bright side, do not have to worry about keeping oxygen filled, since he is a robot.

Still have no idea who to start with for BL3, have not really delved too deep into the skill trees.  FL4K seems to be the popular choice but I don't want to have to deal with all the pets.

Jason

Quote from: Jason on May 24, 2019 @ 09:43:32 AM
I'm annoyed that I missed the sale on Grip last week. The new "Air Blades" update looks amazing and is getting good reviews.

Grip is back on sale for $20 this week so I plan on buying it before the sale ends.

BDSooner72

Games like Blair Witch are what makes Gamepass so good. Would have never paid retail for it and probably never would have even with a deep sale.  It was an okay game that started off well and overstayed it's welcome in the last chapter. The puzzles and use of the handheld camera worked well but was underutilized. Too many areas were just far to disorienting for for me. I got lost often and just ran around in circles. That happens when you are in the woods, especially at night. Got the bad ending because I had no idea there were multiple endings. Would have considered a few different choices made in two sections of the game. Not worth going through again but got around 8 hours out of it. Combat is like Alan Wake Flashlight edition but there are very few enemies in the game to begin with and they switch things up toward the end on how you deal with them.  Very few scares, not a really good story but passable. Framerate was really bad in daylight and slightly less bad at night. Had a few glitches that forced me to restart a chapter (dog got stuck and got myself stuck in the bushes a couple time and could not move out) but to it's credit did not crash once.

If anything it got me to rethink watching the movies to see the similarities.

Jason

Save yourself some time and just watch the first movie.

I watched some gameplay videos of the game and was turned off immediately since it's first-person. I've never played any horror type video games (including the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series) and would have liked to try this one.

I did end up buying MLB 19 last night and played two quick games. Hoping to get some more time with it tonight.

BDSooner72

The first is probably the only one I could stand. I don't even know when the game is coming to the PS4? Right now it's only out on Xbox and PC.

You have a PS4, like Horror Movies and have not played Until Dawn? One of the few horror games I have ever liked and a bonus for you, it is in third person. Also quite re-playable as you will get different results based on your actions. Don't like a character, easy peasy, get em killed off. It is heavy on the QTE's and plays similar to Heavy Rain as far as that goes. The only thing that bothered me is that it has a weird change halfway through the game as best I recall. Goes from one genre of horror to another. Similar to that movie we both watched. That said it was still worth the full retail price when it released. It is $20 on the PSN store, a steal at that price.

Jason

Looks interesting. I watched a video review on YouTube and added it to my Wishlist on PSN.

Ted

Picked up Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey for PC.  About 8 hours in.  It's ok.  A lot of exploration that turns into grinding. Some of the appeal is that the mechanics are so buried.  No tutorial really of any kind.  The game even tells you you are going to have to figure out how it works so some of that mystery is what keeps it interesting and drives you forward.  Once you do and understand the systems then some of the shine wears off and then it becomes the grind of trying to lock in certain mutations to evolve forward.

It's not a bad game, but it's not really special.  The hominids have cool animations and it is pretty fun to build up a band of 12 adults and 6 babies and go out on a group expedition.  It's pretty funny to intimidate the other predators, occasionally killing them, but the best part is watching 12 ape-men armed with sharpened sticks shrieking at the world.  Makes me laugh every time.

It would be better if the world were more dangerous and if there were rival clans.  What it needs more than anything is for you to not have to babysit your clan as much.  You have to tell them when to eat and drink.  And they can't do either if they are holding anything in their hands before you start the process.  You got mauled by a giant cat?  Fine, just rub this giant seed all over your lacerations.  No more bleeding or even chance of infection, yeah right.  You're starving to death? Well drop that stick dummy.  Oh you can't?  Here let me take it from your power grip.  I know you don't have precision grip, but surely you have enough brain cells to drop a stick and pick up a coconut.  That part of the game is a dumb design and should have been cleaned up.

BDSooner72

I can safely say if you liked the previous Borderlands, this is more of the same but with much better gunplay and a ton of QOL improvements. There is a bump in the graphics, lighting and elemental improvements. It's not going to blow anyone away but that has much to do with the art style.  Gunplay is much more enjoyable, it is not Destiny good but a big improvement. Little things like not having to open ammo/money boxes and then hold again to get ammo is a time saver, it's automatic once you open a box. Leveled up to 5 and looking forward to getting more time in with it.  Got to play early by changing my location to New Zealand in the Xbox settings. A first for me to try this trick but and it actually work.

Downloaded Gears Of War 5 on gamepass. Have not played the series since the original but I had fun in the first chapter. It's a bit glitchy as things like XP and your collectables are not showing. Going to hold off on playing this until they get this fixed.

Jason

Gears of War is one series I've missed this generation, especially with Gears 5 getting such good reviews.

Ted

Picked up Vampyr on Steam in the sale for $17.  Jesus are the controls clunky in this.  The writing is borderline terrible.  The dialog choices laughably bad.  If I didn't have over 2 hours in I'd go for a refund.

BDSooner72

Finished the main story and most side missions for Borderlands 3.  Great Shooter and Looter with an absolutely terrible story. I wish Anthony Birch, the writer for BL2 and the DLC was still at Gearbox. I like the humor and poop jokes do not bother me. There are more than enough serious story shooters out there. The humor in BL3 was just not funny most of the time and the main story was a miss from every direction, all the way up to the ending. Some of it going so far back most of the people playing will have no clue. Look kids it is the enemy Amberlamps, remember that meme? Even a wire hanger joke referenced from the 1981 movie Mommy Dearest, which offended many politically correct reviewers thinking it was a jab at abortions. The exception were a few quips when enemies die like, "Jokes on you I was in credit card debt." 

There were some good long side quests. Still a few stinkers but not bad considering side missions in the previous games.  I like Ice-T but the whole Balex character seemed shoehorned in. Penn and Teller (Pain and Terror) was my favorite boss fight. Not as much the fight itself, which was fine but everything leading up to it was great. I completely understand ignoring most of the characters from the Pre-Sequel but far too many characters from the earlier games were never even mentioned. Game needed more missions with Tina, Brick and Mordy I was also pissed off at the lack of Mr. Torque, until I realized he was part of the post game content. The Jacobs Story was probably my high point in regards to the story. 

Now to the endgame which offers quite a bit of meat, outside of the upcoming DLC's. Gotta get leveled up to 50 (finished the story at 43) and you can replay the whole game with harder difficulty but the nice thing that was added is mayhem mode. Where you can still go into an existing finished game and play leveled up enemies with modifiers to make it more challenging but better loot. Mayhem has three levels as you get better gear and can also be used in a mini-dungeon boss mode and Circle of Slaughter to add difficulty. There is also a gun near the end of the game that shoots guns for Euridium. A great way to rack up serious cash required to upgrade the SDU's for guns, bank etc. They finally found a good use for money and once you have everything unlocked it can still be used on the Slot Machines of which there are three cash versions and one takes Euridium.

Will easily put a couple hundred hours into this one. The shooting is so much better I could not go back to the previous games.

Jason

Thinking of getting Ace Combat 7 while it's on sale on PSN this week. I've never owned any of the AC games, but I've always been interested in them.