News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

It's Official

Started by Jason, April 24, 2013 @ 05:57:23 PM

Jason

The new Xbox will be revealed on May 21st at 10am PDT on Xbox Live.

Brad Company

Totally OT, but have you played the newest Gears of War game?

Jason

No, but I was considering it since the price dropped to $40. Why?

Brad Company

I knew you liked the others, wanted your take on the new one.
Haven't played it myself.

Jason

I've heard mixed things about it with most people feeling that GOW 3 was much better. The sales for Judgment have been pretty bad, so I may wait until it's really cheap...I bought 3 when it was $14.99.

Brad Company

My sentiments as well. The multiplayer isn't getting much love,either.

Jason

Well, after watching the reveal of the "Xbox One", I can honestly say that if, and that's a big "if", I buy a next-gen console, it will most likely be the PS4.

Based on the released specs, both consoles are very similar...almost identical and built off of very similar hardware (8 core CPU and AMD GPU), so there won't be much difference in graphics or performance between the two. The differences come in the extras:

1. The Xbox One will require Kinect and all versions will ship with Kinect. Not only do I have no interest in Kinect, but it's going to add to the price of the system.
2. Xbox Live is not free while Sony's PS Network is...for now.
3. The biggest reason I'm disappointed in the Xbox One is the activation codes for games which will be linked to your Xbox Live account. Basically, if my son and I want to share a game with each other, we can only play it under one profile unless we want to pay a fee. All the details haven't been released, but Microsoft was very vague in its answers and I doubt it's going to be good for gamers. 

Brad Company

Yeah, a disc based game is tied to your profile. Anyone else who wants to play/install from that disc will have to pay a fee... a fee that apparently is the same price as the game at retail. This should help kill Gamefly and Gamestop.
The cable box stuff has no appeal for cord-cutters,satellite customers or most people outside of the US.
The Xbone must connect to the internet every 24 hours,also. So much for the fast growing mobile-only ISP crowd.

It appears Microsoft has designed a box few actually want, to win a war for the living room that increasingly doesn't exist or has little relevance to a growing segment of the population.

Edit; Xbone  uses DDR3 vs. DDR5 for PS4. MS admits it didn't go for the most power/best graphics.

Ted

I don't understand some of these decisions.  I would think that the used game/rental market actually drives some of the console sales.  To sever that symbiosis would not be a move I would make.

I think I'm passing on the next gen and sticking harder with my PC centric gaming.

Brad Company

Quote from: Ted on May 22, 2013 @ 12:59:23 AM
I don't understand some of these decisions.  I would think that the used game/rental market actually drives some of the console sales.  To sever that symbiosis would not be a move I would make.

I think I'm passing on the next gen and sticking harder with my PC centric gaming.

A conclusion more people are going to reach than MS/Sony realize.
Oh, they also showed this;

Jason

Brad Company

They should have just gotten rid of physical media altogether,instead of this creepy big-brother baloney.

Also sounds like they don't have their story straight;http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/4362680/xbox-one-games-will-require-regular-authentication-checks-used-games

And of course;https://twitter.com/collarduty

Brad Company

Hahahah some actual blowback on Xbone;http://seekingalpha.com/article/1459951-why-the-xbox-one-launch-led-to-a-drop-in-gamestop-s-stock?source=kizur

Here's a good summary of what's up;
"Confirmed" Issues:
- Forced online activation for all games
- Massive emphasis on TV, services and non game related focus
- Live TV services available in US only at launch, requires separate device
- No self publishing for indie devs
- No headset included
- Over emphasis on Kinect interface
- Xbox One not being backwards compatible with the 360 games or accessories.
- Microsoft's failed attempts to correct PR with contradicting FAQ's, vague responses, misinformation.

Hardware:
- DDR3 confirmed instead of GDDR5
- Potentially Only 5GB of the 8GB ram available for games
- Only HDMI for output.
- 3 OS's? At best, confusing, at worst, a nightmare.
- Kinect needed to be plugged in for Xbox One to function
- Non-replaceable Hard Drive (though not as much an issue, as external drives are supported similar to other consoles. could be a repair issue, though)
- Console uses a large external power brick (Conflirmed by DF/Wired)
- Console is not designed to be placed on its side

Problems with the announcement itself:
- EA games prerendered using in game assets
- COD looked less than stellar
- Quantum break reveal was confusing

Unconfirmed issues that still need clarification:
- How much is this gonna cost?
- Complex used games system that is anti consumer?
- How the hell does game borrowing work?
- Charged fee for playing used games on non linked profile?
- Console that needs to be connected to internet every 24 hrs to play games? (Phil Harrison says one thing, ms backtracked a bit later)

K_Mosley

Nice summary.  I think this generation of consoles might just pass me by.  I have no desire to be that "connected."

Kevin

Jason

What really sucks is that Sony may do something similar. Hopefully all the bad press Microsoft is receiving will persuade Sony to do the right thing.