News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Gaming Update

Started by Jason, March 05, 2013 @ 09:30:38 PM

Jason

I've been in my biggest gaming rut for the last few months and haven't played anything on my Xbox in a while. I was going to let my Xbox Live Gold subscription run out at the end of this month, but Amazon had 12-month Live Gold cards on sale for only $34.99 last week, so I renewed for another year. I still haven't played Assassin's Creed 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City, which were all purchased before Christmas. Lack of free time has also contributed to my lack of play too.

Having said all that, I've been very interested in the new Tomb Raider game. The videos I've seen have been very impressive and the reviews have been very good. I'm hoping for a price drop in the near future because I didn't want to buy it at full price since I wouldn't have a chance to really dig into it for another month. Any one else thinking of buying it too? If so, I'd love to hear your comments on the game once you play it.

Ted

Thinking of buying it for PC once the price drops on Steam.

webdanzer

I really don't like how it starts.

It's beautiful, but the first hour is almost nothing but 'tunnels' and QTEs.  Very little to do but walk down straight paths and mash buttons when prompted to do so.

I understands it opens up later.  Boy, I hope so.

Brad Company

Sure sounds like a Tomb Raider game to me.

webdanzer

I found a little 'hub' area which did open things up some, so it is improving...

Slumberland

Whattup y'all?

I hope to get around to Tomb Raider in the next couple months.  First price drop at Amazon and I'm all over it.

Currently I'm playing a starting pitcher RTTS in The Show on Vita that I'm enjoying a lot, and recently put a bow on finishing the whole run of Assassin's Creed games on the 360, which was sort of nuts and led to lots of climbing dreams.

I'll be at PAX East this coming weekend with my five-months-pregnant wife, if anyone else is going to be around!

Jason

Hey, long time no see.

Congrats on the pregnancy...make sure you start appreciating sleep because you're going to lose a lot of it in about 4 months.

I finally started playing AC II this past weekend and I'm not sure if I like it yet. I'm only about an hour in, but the controls seems overly complicated and all the missions I've completed seem to be very simple (deliver this message, bring this here, carry this there). I'm sure it offers more, so I'll push on a little further.

Slumberland

Thanks! I'm trying to catch up on sleep, but renovations on our new house have made it hard. Lots going on at the moment.

ACII might actually be my least favorite of the series. Boilerplate revenge story, too many cities, and somehow manages to lead you by the nose throughout yet not really explain all the cool stuff you can do. I didn't "get" the combat in that game until I was close to the end. Brotherhood has far better activities and benefits from the reduced scope of a single city, while Revelations is the game where Ezio's story finally gains some poignancy. AC3 is nutbar but has some beautiful wilderness, a charming villain, and badass naval combat that makes me excited for AC4's pirate setting.

Jason

Holy crap!!! Amazon is currently selling Tomb Raider for $42!!!

Ted

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic.

Jason

I'm not being sarcastic at all. I'm very interested in the new Tomb Raider, but have a hard time paying $60 for new games these days. $42 is a lot more tempting. It looks like it's their "Deal of the Day", so I have until tonight to make my decision.

Brad Company

That game will probably be cheaper than that fairly soon. It's a good game by all accounts, but replay value after the initial playthru looks scant.

Jason

$42 was just too tempting for me so I bought it. Maybe it will snap me out of my gaming funk.

Jason

I'm a few hours into the new Tomb Raider and really liking it. After having no desire to play AC II after starting it, I can't wait to find some more time for Tomb Raider. The graphics are great and I'm enjoying the story so far.

Mike_S

I will have news about a new product very soon, which hopefully will help pull you out of your gaming rut. :-)

Meanwhile, with baseball starting up again, I have started getting back into my long High Heat career mode.  We're late in 2014, and 20-21 in our 48-game season, battling for a wild card spot.  Too much fun.  Unfortunately I haven't used my XBox in over a year, and the CD drive is active a little strange (it ejects a lot when I insert the CD, and also doesn't always start up the game right away like it's supposed to), so I'm a little worried about the machine and hence the career mode...