News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Gears of War

Started by Jason, July 03, 2012 @ 09:30:11 PM

Jason

I've owned this game for over a year and could never get myself into it until yesterday. Something finally clicked and I finally started feeling comfortable playing it and now I'm hooked. I'm on Act 2 and have really enjoyed the gameplay, and the graphics are pretty impressive for a launch title. I'll probably pick up the second one since it's only $17 on Amazon, but I'm going to wait until I finish the first one. I always knew I'd enjoy shooters if I could just get the hang of them.

BDSooner72

I played it all the way to the end and just gave up on the final boss because I apparently suck.  Almost had the same thing happen with Dead Island as I was running out of ammo.

Jason

Quote from: Brent on July 03, 2012 @ 10:34:41 PM
I played it all the way to the end and just gave up on the final boss because I apparently suck.  Almost had the same thing happen with Dead Island as I was running out of ammo.

I never knew you played it. Have you ever tried any of the sequels?

BDSooner72

The only reason I played GOW and made it as far as I did was due playing co-op with a friend. I really dislike games with Fantasy/Sci-Fi and the friend was the biggest reason I played it. I moved away and thus ended my time with the GOW series. Hard for me to explain how I enjoyed Skyrim as much as I did, outside it being an open world game with tons of snow and dungeons/caves. I am a sucker for dungeon crawling.

Jason

I could see online co-op being a lot of fun. I tried playing split-screen with my son and it sucked. I'd have no problem buying another copy of the game just so we can play together on separate screens. I was actually hoping there was a LAN option, but there's not.

Brad Company

Horde mode on Gears 2 and 3 is a lot of fun and can be played with randoms or a co-op group.
Your group has to survive wave after wave of Locust in increasing difficulty. It's definitely more casual than all out multiplayer.

Jason, the Gears triple pack gives you Gears 1 and 2 and all of the DLC. You can find it used for 20 bucks or less.

Jason

Quote from: Brad Company on July 04, 2012 @ 06:43:02 PM
Jason, the Gears triple pack gives you Gears 1 and 2 and all of the DLC. You can find it used for 20 bucks or less.

I saw that, but I already have the original Gears 2-Disc edition with all the DLC and the Gears 2 GOTY Complete Edition has all the DLC too and is only $16.99 right now at Amazon, so I bought it.

Brad Company

Well, there you go, then :)

Jason

Finished Acts 2 and 3, and completed the first few checkpoints in Act 4. Loving the game so far - already looking forward to part 2.

Jason

Finally beat the game tonight. Now I'll spend some time with NCAA Football before starting GOW 2.

Jason

I don't think I can wait...I'm starting GOW 2 tonight.

Jason

Quote from: Jason on July 03, 2012 @ 11:17:03 PM
I could see online co-op being a lot of fun. I tried playing split-screen with my son and it sucked. I'd have no problem buying another copy of the game just so we can play together on separate screens. I was actually hoping there was a LAN option, but there's not.

I stand corrected...Gears of War 1 and 2 (and I'm assuming 3) support system link for LAN play. I may have to buy another copy so my son and I can play together without using split-screen.

Jason

Oh shit!!! Thanks for the heads up.

Jason

Played for a few hours last night and thought I was still on Act I, but apparently I'm halfway through Act III. Unlike the first game, there's no notification when you complete an act.