News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Update on me, including games info...

Started by Mike_S, June 14, 2012 @ 08:47:35 PM

Mike_S

Sorry I haven't posted much this year.  For those of you who don't know, Digital Chocolate has been going downhill and a lot of people have been let go or left -- including me, back in October.  Even more recently Trip Hawkins even left!

So I have been working since December as a co-founder of a small startup gaming company, now called "Pick6 Studios" (http://angel.co/pick6-studios).  We are doing mobile/social sports games for iPhone and iPad, and our first sports game is midway through development and already playing fantastic, you guys are going to absolutely love it.  Having no income sucks, and there's definitely some risk to the game even launching if things somehow break particularly badly, but it is so cool, very much done in the way I've always believed sports games should be done.

(I haven't been playing my High Heat season because time that would have been spent doing that is time I'm using to help make the new game better instead)

That said: We put together a small, casual iPhone game (light arcade, non-sports) first in order to learn some stuff about the market and try to make at least a little money. 

It went live on iPhone and iPad today.

It's called "Thumb Fu Panda", and it's free.  Check it out.  Then tell others to get it and to spend some money in the game. :-)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ted

Good luck in the endeavors, Mike.  Sorry to hear about your job loss, but hopefully the new opportunity will end up being a much better change.

Do you think we will see any of the games released for Android devices?  I do not use any Apple products, but would definitely support your company if they offered Android.  I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for sports games for my Android tablet, especially baseball.

BDSooner72

Best of luck with the new company. Would check the game out but I have no Apple products or any phone that would be considered intelligent. 

Just a thought on how to make millions. 

Create Kickstarter account
Propose Baseball game from some of the creators of the High Heat Series, with full uniform customization (since you obviously would not have the MLB license)
Look heavily at 360 console and PC because next year will kinda suck, especially with EA saying they are not really that interested in an MLB license.
Profit
Refund me for my purchase of the 3DO I bought when I was young and foolish since Trip won't open my letters any more.

Just look at old Tex Murphy

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texmurphy/tex-murphy-project-fedora?ref=live

Backers
$568,691
pledged of $450,000 goal

Someone needs to find some of the old Access employees who created started the Links series.  They could also rake in some money. 

Jason

Sorry to hear about your job loss at Digital Chocolate, but I'm excited for you and your new startup. I'm sure your talent and hard work will pay off in the long run, and hopefully you'll get to the point where you can start porting your games over to Android. Like Ted and Brent, I don't own any Apple products, but I'll support you 100% if you start developing for Android.

Also, just wanted to let you know that the company I worked for closed in January and I've been out on my own since then and it's been one of the best things to happen to me. I'm sure the same will happen for you.

Mike_S

Thanks guys!!

We definitely plan to get to Android and other tablets shortly if we have some success on iOS.  Eventually we will go to FB and web as well.

And I wish Kickstarter was as easy as Brent suggests... ;-)

(I'm supposed to see Trip pretty soon, if the situation arises I'll ask him about your 3DO refund.  Unfortunately I wouldn't expect much at this point... :-)

GB_Simo

I have an iPad.  The good lady has an iPad and an iPhone so I'll pinch those and download it twice more...

Mike, I don't know if I expect too much from iOS sports games but I'm not finding that many good quality ones out there (though I am currently playing a lot of Baseball Superstars, even though it's trying to nickel-and-dime me in ways which would lead me to launch less expensive electronic items into the nearest landfill).  Keep us posted on this one, mate, and I'll be sure to give it a go as soon as it's ready for public consumption.  All the very best to you.
Writing about racing cars, again: petrolheadblogger.wordpress.com