News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu
B

NCAA 13 First Details

Started by BDSooner72, April 02, 2012 @ 04:22:54 PM

BDSooner72

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/06/ncaa-football-13-review/

Closing Comments
NCAA Football 13 is a great game -- the changes to the core engine are welcome, challenging and exciting -- but the little stuff adds up. Similar modes, audio inaccuracies and visual missteps make a game that's better than last year's on the technical level but lesser as an overall product.

Presentation
The ESPN ticker, wipes and team make the virtual games feel like the real thing -- same for the entrances and traditions. Still, the modes all feel too familiar even though there are minor tweaks to most.
Graphics
The game looks smooth in motion and the animations are nice, but the grass has no definition in replays, the crowd wigs out, and cameramen are still getting caught in field goal nets.
Sound
Aside from the sound dropping out once in a while on PS3, the announcers, fight songs and hits sound great. Could've gone for more situational lines from Kirk and Brad, though.
Gameplay
The core changes are excellent -- the game is more real than ever. Heisman Mode is also a welcome addition. Sadly, the other modes are more of the same.
Lasting Appeal
As much as I like the gameplay changes, the lack of drastic change in modes might hurt how long I'll keep playing. Still, you could lose yourself in online dynasties, Road to Glory and more.
Overall
Great

BDSooner72

Played one full game with new teams to the FBS.  I took UT San Antonio on the road to play UMASS.  The problem with playing with two low rated teams is you get odd results.  I played in the snow and there were plenty of players slipping, which I liked. Some of the CPU passes really concerned me.  A few throws were 20 yards from the nearest reciever and I did instant replay to make sure no receiver slipped. Also with the new aerodynamics in passing the CPU needs to read up on it. Lobbing passes where they should not have been was a touch excessive.  Tons of fumbles in the game but I attribute that to the quality of team and the weather. The CPU still has no clue how to run the option of any kind, even worse when they dare try to do a reverse. A quick QB can burn you with the scramble. On the flip side it feels easier to run the option against the CPU.  Special teams is still an area that needs to be fixed. Punt returns of any yardage are rare due to how fast the punt team gets down field. I have had a few kickoff returns with some potential holes to make long returns. I prefer this over say NCAA 07 where you almost had one return for a TD a game. Hard thing to balance, that is for sure.  Graphics look pretty much the same and it feels almost like EA has their artists busy working on next gen products.  How in heck do we go a whole generation of this sieres without the chain crew and more than one camera angle?

Checking out some of the stadiums, I would play a minute or so and found a few more issues.  You rarely win a coin toss, and when you do the CPU always deferred to second half, just like last year.
Menu loads a bit quicker this year but the looks is similar to last years with a different layout.
Oregon has like 5,327 uniform combos, two carbon helmets for cripes sake (that said the new chrome helmet is bad ass) not a knock on EA, just hate Nike.

Be sure and check out the new stadium at North Texas (new to the series, it opened last year).  They nailed the stadium down pat and even have the three wind turbines with actual movement of the fan blades. Great for realism but once again, we have this in the game and only one camera/no chain crew.  Really EA?

You can tell where the money in the football budget this year.  Looks and feels more like NCAA 12.5 but I did not spend much time playing football games last year so that is not going to prevent this game from getting it's share of playtime.

Jason

Quote from: Brent on July 06, 2012 @ 04:46:45 PM
Just check online and we have just over an hour away, plus a large download until kickoff.  I shall use this time to prepare myself for the beatings I will bestow on Jason and Brad.

Are we running an Online Dynasty this year?  I realize that me winning every year might make you sad pandas but this could be your year?

We all know who the REAL champion was last time. Having said that, I'm very much looking forward to an online dynasty after not having one last year.

Brent, I knew there was no way you wouldn't download it over the weekend. The game is getting bashed pretty badly on most forums, but I'm still excited about it.

BDSooner72

I recall that I was the real champion.  s::h  It just took an extra try.  8)

I avoid the forums now upon release time, you know  the negative to positive response ratio will be 500 to 1.  My biggest beef is the additions were a joke this year,. Who was asking for a Heisman Road To Glory and Bullet time, er whatever they call it modes?  Time could have been spent in so many other places, like the new physics engine, not to mention how much of the budget it costs to pay for all these Heisman winners. That said it is basically NCAA 12.5 and since I payed little to nothing for it, hard to complain.

Jason

I got to play a whole two quarters of NCAA last night, so I don't really have any impressions yet. The one thing that surprised me was that I needed to download a tuning update - I thought EA wasn't doing tuning updates in their games anymore.

Jason

When are you thinking of starting the online dynasty? After the first patch or complete rosters?

BDSooner72

Well of it is just the two of us, is it really necessary to have one?  We can just play some exhibition games if you get some free time.

BDSooner72

NCAA Football 13 Title Update Arrives July 31, Title Update #2 in Late August

EA Sports has released NCAA Football 13 title update details, which arrives on July 31st.

The first issue was a loss of functionality on the Playcall screen, which created a situation where you couldn't change the formation without pausing the game. The second issue was a random crash in our Dynasty mode while loading into a Dynasty game. Once we became aware of these issues, we got fixes in and submitted a title update to Microsoft and Sony. The first title update in order to fix these two issues will be released on July 31st.

There is a work-around for the Dynasty crash until the patch is released. If you run into the crash loading in to game, you need to resave your dynasty file. You can do this by renaming your dynasty or making a change and triggering the auto-save feature. When you do this, it will optimize the file and you can continue playing.

They have also posted the details for NCAA Football 13 title update #2, which will be released in late August.

Gameplay

Zone Defense has been updated.
    We improved receiver leverage logic as well as predicting when a receiver will be in or out of their zone.
    Improved Deep Half Zone decision making about when to split between uncovered receivers. Also, allow more zone overlapping in deep half to cover more area.
    Deep half defenders were dropping too close to the sideline or dropping outside when no receiver was outside of their position.
    No-Huddle QB Spy bug fixed. Defenders will no longer go into spy assignments while in man coverage.
    Receivers weren’t looking for hot-read passes.
    CPU QBs passing during the drop would get set passes instead of on-the-run inaccurate passes.
    Change the logic of man defenders so they don't run into the backfield and past the receiver they are covering.
    Route running near sideline was causing issues especially on comeback routes.
    Fixed players not respecting global show blitz/press/back off coverage after handing off a receiver.
    Fixed sideline streak routes so they don't get clamped in a way that the route would end after 10 or 15 yards.
    Drive summaries should now reset after each scoring drive.

Dynasty

Once a promise becomes active, it was duplicating after each week advance.
    Recruit Reports & Advisory options remained even after the "Allow Time Savers" setting was turned off.
    Schools with a D+ Program Tradition could not get their grade increased through wins and championships.
    In the off-season, post season games were not shown to have been played.

Custom Playbooks

Fixed an issue where if CPU coaches were given a custom playbook, the players were occasionally lining up close to the ball.
    Fixed an issue where the user was unable to create an offensive playbook that consisted of 1 of every formation.
    Fixed an issue where the user was sometimes losing functionality after the UI disappears in Custom Playbooks.
    Increased the stability of the product by fixing various crashes.

The NCAA Football 13 team is adding a "Uniform Store" which allows them to add updated default uniforms during the season, at no charge.

Jason

Looks like a decent patch. I'm finally going to get some time with NCAA while waiting for GOW 3 to arrive.

Jason

Title update #2 comes out tomorrow (8/15): Updated details

BDSooner72

Some day I will get you EA.  You patch in a uniform storm with no uniforms.  What pisses me off most is there are EA videos with them playing in new unis. like Texas A&M, that should already be there.

Jason

They stated that they won't have uniforms available until September:

The "Uniform Store" will allow us to give you updated uniforms during the season. If it's an update to a team's default uniform, you will get those uniforms at no additional charge, via download in the store if and when available.  The first uniforms will be available in the store beginning next month.

BDSooner72

I know that but they have had a month to get the uniforms in. Honestly, how hard is it? 

Jason

New tuner out today and no info about it is available  >:( .

BDSooner72

Quote from: Jason on August 23, 2012 @ 11:37:53 PM
New tuner out today and no info about it is available  >:( .

https://twitter.com/EASPORTS_AJ/status/239134731504066560

I've been told by dev it's to repair some desync issues. Nothing major gameplay wise.