News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Sony Won't Make Massive Investment in PS4

Started by Jason, May 27, 2011 @ 11:30:07 PM

Jason

Sony's PS3 was pretty slow out of the gate with its $599 price tag, but Sony had little choice in terms of pricing due to the heavy costs surrounding Blu-ray and the Cell processor. The R&D and manufacturing took its toll on the company's bottom line and only now is the PlayStation division finally reaping some profits.

Sony this week confirmed the obvious: PlayStation 4 is coming, and indeed work has already started on the new hardware. However, this time around, the company has vowed not to make the same mistake twice; Sony claims it will not invest as heavily in a PS4 the way it did with the PS3.

Sony CFO Masaru Kato commented, "It is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3."

That's all well and good, but we have to wonder what the implications of such a statement will be. How will this affect the final hardware design of PS3? Will it be underpowered compared to the next Xbox? You can be sure that Microsoft will make the financial investment needed to create an absolute beast of a console.
Source: Industry Gamers

BDSooner72

Hopefully Sony won't invest heavily in stupid quotes like they did with the PS3.

Ken Kutgaragi at his best...

“[Unknown at this point, though Sony guru Ken Kutaragi has stated that] It will be expensive ... for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else.”

“Microsoft has put itself out of the game, ... Retailers in the US are already disappointed.”

"Microsoft shoots for the moon. Sony shoots for the sun."

and my personal favorite from July 2005

“If processors of high performance and wide bandwidth like the Cell were linked together without sufficient security, a worldwide system crash could occur with one attack.”

Brad Company

I would think none of the Big Three will over-engineer their next box. MS and Sony both lost money on the previous hardware(for different reasons) and no-one wants to be stuck with an unprofitable box as the market moves towards digital distribution and a disc-free environment.