News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

MLB The Show 18

Started by Jason, November 11, 2017 @ 12:48:32 AM

Jason

With the hype train starting for MLB The Show 18, I have to remind myself NOT to pre-order this year's game after being disappointed with last year's effort. The one saving grace is that I've enjoyed all the even number years of the game (14 and 16), so I'm hoping that trend carries over with 18.

I was thinking about it and not only was I disappointed in the odd number years of just the PS4 version of this game (15 and 17), but I was also very disappointed in MLB The Show 2007 on the PS2 after loving MLB The Show 2006. Hmmm...

Ted

Are they announcing any major changes?

Jason

Quote from: Ted on November 11, 2017 @ 12:52:44 PM
Are they announcing any major changes?

Nothing yet. Just the cover athlete, which people seem to get a little too excited over. Never understood why people cared who was on the cover of a game.

Jason

New gameplay trailer posted today and the graphics degradation after the pitch selection is still there. Glad I caught this before I made the mistake of buying it again this year. Why don't they work on optimizing their code instead of abruptly downgrading the graphics during the pitching/batting sequences?

Brad Company

These make great pickups late in the year for 10-15 bucks.

Jason

Quote from: Brad Company on February 05, 2018 @ 07:20:35 PM
These make great pickups late in the year for 10-15 bucks.
I may grab it at that price later in the year, but this will be definitely be the first time I don't buy it at launch.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Brad Company

There appears to be no actual improvements to the game itself.

Ted

Anyone ever end up picking this up?  I'm wondering if it will be worth the upgrade when it drops to 20?

Jason

I'm proud to say that I didn't buy it this year. I may consider it once it drops to $20 too.

Ted

What was your old theory?  You liked the odd years and not the evens?  Something about bugs or frames?

Jason

I liked the even years. My problem is that the graphics degradation after the pitch selection is still there. It started in 15, was fixed in 16 and reappeared in 17 and 18. The problem is once you see it, it's hard to ignore. The only reason it's there is due to lazy programming/optimizing by SDS. They should spend more time working on optimizing their game and less time on stubs.

Brad Company

You can get it for 10 once the season is over.

Jason

Quote from: Brad Company on July 29, 2018 @ 02:18:28 PM
You can get it for 10 once the season is over.
I probably will wait until then...if I even buy it at all. I'm still enjoying SMB 2.

Jason

MLB 18 just dropped to $20 today, which is the price I was waiting for...and just in time for the playoffs.

Jason

So glad I didn't spend more than $20 on this. It plays well, but the graphics and frame rate are no better than previous years.

I'm curious to see how this looks and plays on the PS4 Pro since it seems like it was really made for it instead of the base PS4.