News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

To Madden or Not To Madden

Started by Jason, August 19, 2016 @ 08:35:33 AM

Ted

Just entering my 5th seasons with the Browns and the final season on coach Hue Jackson's contract.  Remembering my goal was to have a .500 season.

2016 5-11
2017 7-9
2018 7-9
2019 7-9

In 2019 we began the season 2-3, climbed our way to 7-4, and then lost the last 5 games of the season to finish 7-9.  I think if Hue doesn't go .500 in 2020 I will not resign him to another contract.

The overall team rating by year

2016 71
2017 76
2018 78
2019 79-80 We started at 79 and got to 80 and then I had two players regress, one due to age (LT) and the other due to a problem holding on to the football (RB).

2020 79.   We enter preseason season at 79. 

I see a lot of teams in the 79-81 range.  The highest rank team I have faced is an 86 so I think that's about the peak one can hope for with the way the salary cap and the financial side work in this game.  I play on owner mode so I have to worry about the money and with the Browns it is a significant worry.  The stadium is in poor shape and the fan base is small, but hardcore.  I actually got offered to relocate the team in 2018, but declined.  Maybe I shouldn't have.  My 95 rated LT retired and I had to go to free agency to find a replacement.  The best available was an 80.  I wasn't expecting the retirement as that LT had a year left at 9M.  On top of that the draft for offensive linemen was weak this year too.

It's pretty obvious that 75 is what Madden considers a marginal starter.  70-74 are bench and backups.  79 seems to be where a lot of players stall out at their peak.  So the 80 was a let down to the 95, but finding an 80 was probably fortunate.

This is the final year on my first draft class' contracts too and some of them have gone to the Pro Bowl (QB, SS, WR).  I'm not sure I will be able to bring all of them back.  The QB especially is going to ask for a fat contract, I just know it.  He was Rookie of the Year and QB of the Year twice.  The really tough decision will be if they refuse to sign or I can't afford it do I trade them and sacrifice Hue's season to get something before they leave?  Or do I let it play out and say thanks for the 4 years?

Also I think I've made a mistake for four years resigning 76-79 rated free agents.  The signing bonus parts of their contracts eats up the cash available to do other things and the free agent market is full of 73-75 rated players after preseason starts that sign for 1 year contracts with no bonus.  I think I probably should only be giving bonuses to 80 and above players

I find the franchise mode in Madden fantastic now.  There is so much to balance.  It's really tough to field a playoff team (or I'm an idiot who can't figure out this game...always a possibility  ::) )  Coupled with Key Moment play on the field this is just about perfect.

Jason

Good stuff. It's nice to read about someone enjoying a sports game. I'm so tired of all the whiny little bitches on the major gaming sites complaining about every tiny detail of the game. I only go to some of those sites to get news in regards to patches, but instead I hear about how the game is "unplayable", "broken", "non-organic" or "a good foundation that needs a lot more work". These people should be forced to go back and play Atari Football. Madden is in no way perfect, but people need to realize it's a video game and not real life.

I especially love how they notice things, during their "testing", after patches that weren't even touched. EA should release a patch that does literally nothing and just watch how the online community talks about all the "changes" they're seeing since the update.

Sorry for my little rant...

Ted

I don't mind the rant.  I feel the same way about the mega sites.  I will say though that I do find helpful things if I do specific google searches, but to be honest the best stuff is on individual blogs.  I found a good scouting guide for Madden that has really helped me understand what to look for by position.

Contract year 85 QB went down in 2nd preseason game with a fractured arm!  Out 8 weeks!

When asked for comment Brown's head coach Hue Jackson said, "Fucking Chrysler plant here I come!"

If he can come back early from injury he may be able to start game 2 or 3 of the season.

Brad Company

Is this worth $10? I haven't played a football game since NCAA 14.
Is there a fantasy draft, or a way to scramble up the teams? Is roster editing a thing anymore?
Any game breaking glitches, or buggy patches?

I WANT ANSWERS DAMMIT! :))

Jason

The game is definitely worth $10 and no, there aren't any real game breaking glitches. The final patch surprisingly fixed up many of the major complaints, with the exception of QB's not scrambling enough.

You're in for a nice treat if you haven't played any football games this generation...the graphics are definitely a big step up from NCAA 14 and I'm almost positive there's a fantasy draft and you can definitely edit the rosters.

Brad Company

Ted

Hell, the scouting and drafting mechanics alone are worth $10!

Brad Company

Grabbed some rosters and playbooks. The game helps flesh out my little "sports" folder, at least. :))

Brad Company

Wow, I'm actually having fun with MUT. I like being able to just play little sequences.
Got lucky, and got Brady at QB. I know it's a lure to spend real money, but I'm just gonna plug along with my dudes.

Ted

So many different ways to play that are fun.

Brad Company

I keep trying to reload and switch weapons, though. Thinking Brady can toss a grenade a long way. :))