News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

MLB The Show 16

Started by Jason, March 30, 2016 @ 02:36:56 PM

Jason

Even though I had no intention of buying The Show 16 on its release day, after being disappointed with The Show 15, Amazon's 20% off offer made me change my mind. Fortunately, my initial impressions of 16 are much than last year's game.

I had major frame rate issues with MLB 15 while pitching and batting, almost to the point of stuttering. It didn't happen all the time, but it happened enough to really bother me. So far I haven't had the issue with MLB 16 after a few games.

MLB 15 also had the annoying graphical glitch after you selected your pitch type, which lowered the resolution of the game. It took me a while to noticed it, but once I did, I couldn't stop noticing it. It was especially bad at certain stadiums like Citifield. Thankfully, this is another issue that seems to be fixed in MLB 16.

I thought the presentation of MLB 15 took a step back too. The colors were too bright and the pitcher/batter information was harder to get to than in MLB 14. This is another area that MLB 16 has improved on too.

The fielding seems to have been improved too as the players feel like they have some weight behind them when they move now. I'm also seeing better hit variety.

I finally did something I couldn't do after buying MLB 15 last year...delete MLB 14 from my PS4. I feel like this year's game is showing enough promise to satisfy my baseball needs this season.

BDSooner72

The only framerate issues I have are in the cutscenes. Don't care for the extra accuracy meter (the one under the player) for fielding but can't figure out how to turn the stupid thing off. I prefer the buttons and the standard meter. Finally get to play a Franchise with Toronto now that they let you use the retractable roof.

Jason

The framerate during the cutscenes is much better than it was in 14 and 15.

BDSooner72

I am probably going to turn off the majority of them and speed the game up while I am at it. 

Jason

Quote from: BDSooner72 on March 31, 2016 @ 08:00:27 AM
I am probably going to turn off the majority of them and speed the game up while I am at it. 

Exactly. I like the full broadcast presentation, but for now I just skip through the cut scenes and problem solved.

Nice to be able to see foul balls go into the stands again this year. Another thing I couldn't stand about 15.

Jason

Not sure why so many people complain about the commentary in The Show. I've always found it to be pretty good and it's even better this year. Not only do they have more lines, but they do a better job of keeping up with the play on the field.

Brad Company

I ended up turning off commentary in all sports games when I played them.

BDSooner72

Quote from: Jason on March 31, 2016 @ 01:24:27 PM
Not sure why so many people complain about the commentary in The Show. I've always found it to be pretty good and it's even better this year. Not only do they have more lines, but they do a better job of keeping up with the play on the field.

I am not hearing all these new lines. Maybe one or two but it sounds like the same commentary I have been hearing for years. An even bigger PITA is the bug that causes the game to crash when it first loads up and starts showing the new rewards you receive each day. Happens once or twice every time I decide the play the game. Definitely not alone with this as it is mentioned often on the official bug report page. 

Jason

One that I can think of off the top of my head is how they talk about Curtis Granderson's reason for wearing his socks high. They also seem to do a better job keeping up with the game, especially when players are running the bases.

I haven't had the game crash during the rewards yet, but it almost did yesterday. It sort of hung there for a while and then went through once I got up to reset the PS4. Hopefully the first patch will be out later this month and clear up some of the issues in the game. Even so, it does seem to have fewer bugs than 15 did when it was released.

Ted

Haven't had any rewards screen crashes yet.  Haven't had any crashes at all (digital download version).

I've noticed quite a few new lines, but I also don't skip a lot of scenes or in between pitches so maybe if one does that they don't notice the new lines of dialogue?

BDSooner72

Could be, I generally play on fast, quick counts and only play Dynasty.

Ted

That could be it.  I've noticed new lines in RTTS as well as Franchise.  Also, I didn't play 15 so am comparing to 13 which I spent a lot of time with, and 14 which I spent a moderate amount of time with.

Jason

What cameras are you guys using? I'm using Wide for batting, Outfield for pitching and Medium for fielding and base running.

BDSooner72

Zoom for Batting, A close up behind the pitcher (can't think of the name) and broadcast or dynamic for fielding.

Ted

I use a custom camera.  I developed it from either an optional one from 13 that went away or a customized 13.  I think it was an optional camera on the ps3 version.  When I started playing the PS4 I put the two side by side and created a custom camera that looked as identical to 13 as I could get it.

Basically the gist is that I have it at an angle and distance that allows me to tell balls from strikes easier and I feel like I can judge the ball's speed better.