News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Titanfall

Started by Jason, March 11, 2014 @ 05:16:36 PM

Jason

This game looks pretty good and is getting great reviews. I'm glad it's coming out for the 360 but it's a different developer making it, so I'm a little skeptical. It also doesn't help that there's been no gameplay footage available for the 360 with only 2 weeks before it's released.

BDSooner72

Mechs and online only, pass.  It looks good and everyone I talk to that played the beta loved it.

Jason

I didn't realize it was online only...there's no single player campaign? Count me out then.

BDSooner72

Yeah, I might have considered it with single player but not online only.

Jason

I guess today was a bad day for Microsoft Live to be down then.

Brad Company

What is this "single player campaign mode" you speak of? :P

Yeah,I'm pretty skeptical about the 360 version,although Bluepoint has a good track record. The playerbase on 360 may also be quite small.

I doubt I'll drop 60 bucks on it unless the online play is on fire. Even if it is,I'm leery about putting any more money into old-gen.
I'll definitely be shooting them up on next gen by the fall.

BDSooner72

Yeah, too many good reviews, going to give this one a try.  I am weak but honestly there is nothing to play right now.  I might spend a few dozen hours in the training missions before I tread into the online water.

BDSooner72

Color me impressed.  While I had more fun as a pilot (not in a Titanfall) zipping around map with jetpacking walljumps that lead to some mid-air kills, playing as a Titanfall has it's strong points.  I still suck at competitive shooters but this game might make me want to be less suck at competitive shooters. Game played like butter online, not a hitch.

BDSooner72

People have been oddly silent playing this game so far. The matches are fairly short and limited teammates but still it has been quiet. The smack/trash talkers are playing the game I would least expect it from, Peggle 2. The worst offenders have been females. Holy Cow, the amount of F-Bombs from young women is mind blowing. Though nothing can top the female playing while feeding her young crying child, in a language I could not comprehend. 

Also have noted Peggle 2 seems to be a big game for heavy drinkers and drug users.  Wow, the colors...

Ted

LOL the visual I get from your description of the Peggle 2 random online opponent world is like descending down to street level in Blade Runner after being in a cushy apartment 100 floors up.

Brad Company

How bad is the screen tearing and frame rate drops I've read about? Do they affect gameplay much?

BDSooner72

Quote from: Ted on March 15, 2014 @ 02:37:22 PM
LOL the visual I get from your description of the Peggle 2 random online opponent world is like descending down to street level in Blade Runner after being in a cushy apartment 100 floors up.

Even though I have never seen Blade Runner, your comparison seems pretty apt. That said I played with some really good people tonight (by that I mean nobody used their mics).  :))

BDSooner72

Quote from: Brad Company on March 15, 2014 @ 08:49:24 PM
How bad is the screen tearing and frame rate drops I've read about? Do they affect gameplay much?

I played for at least 10 hours and I did not notice either enough that I would say it bothered me. Possibly some slowdown when you had multiple Titans fighting and throw in an explosion and a pilot eject. Pre-Titan move so fast and speeds up more when you wall run, you would really have to be looking for it.  I have to admit that the difference between 60 or 30 FPS looks the same to me.  Only when the framerate drops below 20 do my eyes actually notice. I had the new Thief and it was noticeable. Screen tearing is something I am very familiar with from playing the first 3 Saints Row games, which were all really bad in that department.  The only thing that affected my gameplay was getting killed so often.

Titanfall is a great game and fortunately for me I have a neighbor that loves FPS and also has an Xbox One.  Over the past month I have tried two Online only shooters, this and Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (which is 3rd person) and I sucked equally at both. My K/D ratios were so low I felt bad for let my team down each match and they were random people. I have come to love shooters again but it is Single Player only for me from here on.  Sucking at shooters is fine by me when I am not reminded after every match how bad I really am and can change a difficulty level if needed.

Edit: I just went to Neogaf and saw the Digital Foundry thread. I hope you are not basing anything off a Neogaf thread? So many Sony fans, so many grains of salt need to be taken, so much hatred for Microsoft. I mean for cripes sake the resolution-gate they have each week is mind numbing. Especially coming from Sony fans who spent the last generation playing at lower framerates, multi-plaform games that were almost always better on the 360, yet never made an issue out of it. Stick to the Official Titanfall Neogaf thread and people who actually played the game.

Jason

How is it possible that you've never seen Blade Runner? It may not be the best movie ever made but it's still beautiful to look at over 30 years later. I'll have to send you a copy if it's not available on any of your streaming sites.

Brad Company

Quote from: BDSooner72 on March 16, 2014 @ 09:27:46 AM
Quote from: Brad Company on March 15, 2014 @ 08:49:24 PM

I played for at least 10 hours and I did not notice either enough that I would say it bothered me. Possibly some slowdown when you had multiple Titans fighting and throw in an explosion and a pilot eject. Pre-Titan move so fast and speeds up more when you wall run, you would really have to be looking for it.  I have to admit that the difference between 60 or 30 FPS looks the same to me.  Only when the framerate drops below 20 do my eyes actually notice. I had the new Thief and it was noticeable. Screen tearing is something I am very familiar with from playing the first 3 Saints Row games, which were all really bad in that department.  The only thing that affected my gameplay was getting killed so often.

Titanfall is a great game and fortunately for me I have a neighbor that loves FPS and also has an Xbox One.  Over the past month I have tried two Online only shooters, this and Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (which is 3rd person) and I sucked equally at both. My K/D ratios were so low I felt bad for let my team down each match and they were random people. I have come to love shooters again but it is Single Player only for me from here on.  Sucking at shooters is fine by me when I am not reminded after every match how bad I really am and can change a difficulty level if needed.

Edit: I just went to Neogaf and saw the Digital Foundry thread. I hope you are not basing anything off a Neogaf thread? So many Sony fans, so many grains of salt need to be taken, so much hatred for Microsoft. I mean for cripes sake the resolution-gate they have each week is mind numbing. Especially coming from Sony fans who spent the last generation playing at lower framerates, multi-plaform games that were almost always better on the 360, yet never made an issue out of it. Stick to the Official Titanfall Neogaf thread and people who actually played the game.

Actually the YouTube video DF posted was what I was most concerned with. There is quite a bit of tearing evident in it.
I knew the game wouldn't be in 1080p, but the lack of 60fps was pretty surprising. Doesn't mean unplayability. On current gen CoD is and Battlefield isn't and both are very playable.
Now, going back to Halo3 and 540p and sub 30fps is a different matter. :)