News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

NHL13 GM Connected

Started by Ted, December 29, 2012, 11:15:42 PM

Ted

Jake and I have started a GM connected in the Atlantic division.  I chose Philidelphia and he chose NY Islanders.  Jason is going to join as the Rangers.  The idea is to fill the Atlantic with humans to have a higher number of games against humans, but if anyone wants to join any of the other teams that is fine.  New Jersey and Pittsburgh are available to fill up the Atlantic if anyone is interested.

You don't have to play your games, you can let them be simmed and just GM, or even coach from the bench if you prefer.  We're running it on a 1 week calender with the league advancing 1 week every day.  The idea is to play through a season in a month to be able to enjoy the off season stuff as well.  Also capping users at 2 per team so if you have a son/daughter or a friend that likes to play co-op with you that is fine.

League name is OVER THE HILL LEAGUE if you want to search and join.

webdanzer

What time and settings are you using? 

Ted

8 minute periods on Superstar.

Everything that should be on is on (penalties, injuries, etc.) which is probably everything. 

Was there some specific setting you wanted to know about?

And I forgot to post in the first post that the league has already started.  Joiners can join anytime.  We are about 4-6 games in depending on the team.  So if it doesn't work for you right now, but maybe weeks down the line it will be here.

Ted

The plan is to advance the league each night at midnight eastern time.  Just FYI.

webdanzer

I'll have to try an offline game on Superstar.  Not sure if I can hack that level... :-\

Ted

Believe me, I sympathize.  I struggle with that diff level as well.  I will say when you play head to head with a human it doesn't feel like superstar.  I think things get evened out.  If I put it to all star Jake will probably go 82-0 so I have to put a leash on him somehow  ;).

Anyway, if it deters you I understand.  You could also just sim the all or part of your cpu games if the frustration level is high or until you feel you can compete with the CPU.  There is a lot to do just GM'ing with the pace of the league.

Would be sorry to not have you.

P.S.  New Jersey beat me 2-0 last night.  >:(

Jason

Quote from: webdanzer on December 31, 2012, 10:54:20 AM
I'll have to try an offline game on Superstar.  Not sure if I can hack that level... :-\

Don't feel bad - I'm not planning on winning many/if any games either. Like Ted said, I may sim some of my games if I start to get frustrated.

Ted

If you have trouble with superstar initially you might be more competitive if you lock into one position and let your cpu teammates handle some of the load.  I play that way right now always locked into RW.   You can also lock in as coach and just call lines and do strategy while you watch the game from the bench.

The other thing is that the AI is really open to trading.  Don't be shy about trying to get a superstar by giving up a few guys or picks.  All trades have to be approved by the human commish, but as long as I see a relatively equal value in the trade value graphic for both sides I approve it.  Do what you want with your teams.  Play how you want on the ice.  Sim is little or as much as you want.  This is more about interacting with each other and having some fun than bragging rights.  Jake's probably going to be unstoppable anyway  :P

webdanzer

So I played on Superstar and while I lost, expectedly, the game was still rather fun.  I'm already running in a connected league with the Devils, though, and honestly I don't have a lot of interest in the GM-level stuff of trading and roster-management and whatnot.  That said, I definitely like playing vs humans and would like to take Pittsburgh, if they are still available, in this so I can enjoy the occasional player vs player game.

I do want to stress that I will not be able to play every night, and I'm not going to be very active at all on the GM side of things, so if that makes you wary or wanting to accept a more involved human owner, I understand.

Otherwise, I'd like to participate!

Ted

Hey, the more humans the merrier.  Just join as PIT and happy to have you on.  I'm not leery at all about activity.  That's what the simming is for.

Edit:  This part is for everyone.....except for one exception so far the league is advanced daily (1 week of game time) at midnight eastern time.  This keeps the schedule moving forward and predictable.  So don't feel bad if you can't get your human v. human game in.  I don't care if it gets simmed or if one human plays against the CPU.  On superstar it evens things out I figure.  So don't feel bad about missing human v human games on the schedule.  There is a good possibility of meeting a human in the playoffs and at this pace we should get through a season in about 4 weeks.

webdanzer

Cool, I'll look to sign up tonight.  Thanks!

webdanzer

I actually won my first CPU connected game, woot! ;)

Obvious that Pitt has far more skilled players than NJ.

Ted

Slight change to format starting tonight.  Instead of advancing a week per day I'm going to do two weeks every other day.  Same rate of play, but less administrative stuff since it's a pain to advance.  It takes 30 to 60 minutes to do the advance each night and if I lose connection to the EA servers (a regular occurrence) I have to start all over. 

Hope everyone is enjoying themselves so far.

Jason

Guys, I'm really sorry I haven't been participating. I'm hoping things settle down for me after Friday so I'll be able to put more time into this. Having the actual season start next week has me excited to play video hockey again.

Ted

Oh please.  It looks like you are participating to me because your games are getting played  ;) 

Seriously, don't worry about it.  Do whatever you want that is fun for you.  And your team is doing well right now!