News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

NBA 2K13 Info

Started by Jason, August 10, 2012 @ 11:59:08 AM

Jason

IGN has just posted their full review of NBA 2K13

The Verdict

It's both scary and exciting to think how good a game we might get if NBA 2K actually had a serious competitor pushing it to new heights. But even when left with a clear, unobstructed path to the basket, 2K13 throws down a monster jam with this year's edition - probably the last one developed solely for this generation of consoles. It's obviously the best hoops game out there, and it might even be the best sports game of all, period.

Score: 9.1

Jason

Just don't expect any detailed info in the review...

Brad Company

So regurgitating the press release for the game isn't a sufficient review? :))

Man, that control list gets bigger every year; http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/09/25/a-look-at-nba-2k13s-controls#more-65231

Jason

I won't even use a quarter of those moves and if I do pull them off, it'll be by accident.

Jason

I thought nothing would top Madden 13's one-year improvement over 12, but NBA 2K13 may have done it. I haven't had a chance to play 2K13 too much yet, but the game seems so much better than last year's game, especially now that I'm getting comfortable with the new controls. My only (minor) complaint is the flashy-gold presentation. I wish they would have stayed with the more professional TV-style overlays, and fortunately you can turn off the soundtrack completely.

BDSooner72

While I do not have a Kinect I love that you can get a Technical Foul for profanity. I really like the use of Kinect with this game as I hate having to call plays and do subs with the controller.

About to play it for the first time in a few minutes.

BDSooner72

Never really got into the My Player mode before but just started a career and it is really fun. They cover just about everything a NBA player does outside of making child support payments. Also there is a glitch right now where you can purchase VC points really cheap - 5000 points are 80MP, so I built up my player to something tolerable to play with since VC points are hard to come by.

Jason

Just traded in my copy of NBA 2K12 at Amazon for $18.20. It was up to $20.40 last week but dropped down to $10.25 the next morning. I kept my eye on it and watched it go back up to $12 to $15 to $17 and finally $18.20 this morning. Just checked again now and it's back down to $15, so I did it just in time.

Jason

Brent, what's your take on the gameplay? I'm almost done with training camp and now enjoy the game even more. I'm still amazed at how much better it is compared to last year's game.

BDSooner72

I am enjoying it so far, got drafted by the Suns and have played a couple games with limited minutes. The opener was on Halloween and they went all out with commentary in game, graphics and it is even part of the halftime/post Game set.  The commentary is so good I actually listen to what they are saying. Oozes presentation, unlike the Tiburon Football games.

I have yet to play and actual five on five game but I love the analog controls and outside of some rebounding issues where the Ai swoops in out of nowhere to grab rebounds over me, so far so good.

Jason

I finished up training camp tonight and was given an extra pair of sneakers instead of gamer points  >:( .

One thing I did realize tonight is that all the historical teams from 2K12 are in this year's game and available immediately. I had some fun playing with the '94 - '95 Knicks.

Brad Company

Got 50 dollars of PSN funbux (and a year of Plus) for getting a Sony CC. Put the bux to use getting this game.
I'm hoping Pro/Sim will play decently enough to keep me from digging into the sliders.
Is the game harder or easier than last year?

Jason

First, I think you made an excellent choice in buying this game.

It's hard to say whether it's harder or easier - I'd probably say it plays smarter. The CPU players seem to move around more on offense even when a play is not called and they actually double-team players on defense (unlike last year). Some may think it's easier because most of the offensive moves are easier to pull off than they were in the past, but that's just because the right-stick dribble moves are more intuitive than the old isomotion system.

I also find myself hitting players breaking to the basket much more, but that's because of the ability to manually bounce-pass and the CPU's ability to understand the situation and put some muscle behind the pass. I guess what I'm saying is that the gameplay may seem easier just because the players actually do what you want them to do, which is not a bad thing. In any case, I think anything you'd find too easy or hard would be able to be adjusted with the insane amount of sliders anyway.

I'd be curious to see if you find this year's game to be as big of an improvement that I do.

Jason

The big title update is now out. Release notes will be posted later. Looking forward to checking out the gameplay improvements.

BDSooner72

Will try to get it tonight. Was having some issues with games freezing and slowdown and someone suggested the HD needed to be formatted, so I did but now I am having to install all my games again.