News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu
B

Sleeping Dogs (Formerly True Crime)

Started by BDSooner72, July 25, 2012 @ 08:18:58 PM

BDSooner72

I loved the True Crime series as I do most anything that is open world and this game is looking pretty good.  Release Aug 14th - pre-order Amazon and you get a $10 credit.

Full walkthrough of one of the missions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5_4rCykWDA#ws

Ted

I liked that vid.  I hope the fighting is as fun as the batman games.  I like the weapon usage and how it gets used up and becomes a fluid and dynamic part of the fight.

Jason

The city looks great in the game. Damn Amazon is tempting me to pre-order with that $10 credit.

Was True Crime a good game?

BDSooner72

They were pretty good. Both games gave you the option of playing good/bad cop. Last one came out in 2005 so I would put more emphasis on the upcoming reviews and gameplay videos as this game has a ton of time and moeny dropped into it. So much that Activision actually cancelled the title last year and was picked up by Square Enix (hence the game not being called True Crime anymore).

BDSooner72

Another  -  Latest GameInformer gave it a 7.75.  Says something like GTA is still king, these games are made to keep you busy until GTA V hits.

Jason

Wow, I forgot this game comes out in a week. Decisions, decisions...

BDSooner72

Enjoying it so far but it is really heavy on the fighting, minus guns.  :'(  Lots of combos as you progress but I just end up grappling someone and taking them over to red highlighted structure for some nifty environmental damage.  Have not shot a gun yet but eventually my opponents decided to start carrying knives and pipes so you do get the occasional toy to swing with.  There is a one button press defend button that is basically a requirement to perform well as you are fighting 5+ guys at a time, only snag is the other guys will jump in on you as you are grappling with another. I have died quite a few times but it never felt cheap, I just need to work on my approach and the basic combos. Jumping/sliding on object is something I hope GTA V has. Makes moving around the city much more enjoyable.

Driving early on has provided a challenge due to having to drive on the left side of the road.  The actually driving is pretty good and instead of just ramming card you can press a button while driving to ram a bit harder.  Still not the driving model from Saints Row 3 which is actually fun and this is coming from someone who really hates driving.

The camera is my biggest complaint as you only have one and it is really close in and kinda works against you at times when fighting multiple enemies from different directions. It is also really restricting the view of the city.

* I am playing SR3 and Sleeping Dogs simultaniously as they are pretty much night and day in terms of sandbox gameplay.

Jason

Quote from: Brent on August 22, 2012 @ 05:28:21 AM
* I am playing SR3 and Sleeping Dogs simultaniously as they are pretty much night and day in terms of sandbox gameplay.

If you could only recommend one, which one would it be?

BDSooner72

Hard to say as they are so different. The thing I know you won't like (same as me) about Saints Row 3 is the lack of cover.  You can use human shields and police shields but no cover system. Apparently Sleeping Dogs has a cover system but I have yet to use a gun and cover systems do not really work well in hand to hand combat. ;

The thing about Saints Row 3 is that it is really out there. Nucking Futs at every turn. From streaking to some of the weapons you can use to the fighting engine. Not as layered as Sleeping Dogs but it offers a more grin worthy takedown animations, especially when sprinting and jumping at someone.

If you are looking for a fun romp, Saints Row The Third delivers in spades and you can easily find it for under $40.  By the time you finish you might see a price drop on Sleeping Dogs.

Jason

Thanks for the info. Have you played the first 2 SR games? If so, would you recommend starting with them?

BDSooner72

Saint Row 2 was pretty good but the original I could live without. There is a connected storyline and you might not get a few things going on but you really do not play SR for the story. I would say go with SR3 and enjoy it for what it is, mindless unadulterated sandbox fun. 

There is a double pack (SR1/2) but not really worth it since I really would avoid the first one, you can get SR2 on Games On Demand for $19.99 and I just noticed SR3 is also on Games on Deman for $49.99, though you can get it much cheaper.  SR2 seems to be a fair deal since it is retails for around that price.

Ted

I second that SR3 is worth the price of admission. It is just plain over-the-top fun.  So outrageous.  So funny.  The story is good, but even just to pick up for 20 minutes to cause "mayhem" and blow off steam is fun too.  Definitely adult though.  Don't play it around the young ones.

I have Sleeping Dogs for the next 6 days as a rental.

Jason

I'm going to check out the demo tomorrow.