News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu
B

The Walking Dead: The Game

Started by BDSooner72, April 26, 2012 @ 02:11:07 AM

BDSooner72

Anyone picked up the first episode on the PS3? Planning on picking it up Friday on XBL?  I love the first season, still waiting for DVD release of season 2. I found out it did not follow the characters in the TV series, maybe it is following the comic books? Have no clue since I do not read comics. That said it is getting good reviews. Might just have to add this to the XBL library.

While on the subject of the undead, I found this little flash game last week that I think is worth a play through. It is about boy meets girl, girl becomes zombie and boy still loves her. Harmless and dare I say cute.

I saw her standing there...

www.notdoppler.com/isawherstandingthere.php

Ted

Quote from: Brent on April 26, 2012 @ 02:11:07 AM
Anyone picked up the first episode on the PS3? Planning on picking it up Friday on XBL?  I love the first season, still waiting for DVD release of season 2. I found out it did not follow the characters in the TV series, maybe it is following the comic books? Have no clue since I do not read comics. That said it is getting good reviews. Might just have to add this to the XBL library.

While on the subject of the undead, I found this little flash game last week that I think is worth a play through. It is about boy meets girl, girl becomes zombie and boy still loves her. Harmless and dare I say cute.

I saw her standing there...

www.notdoppler.com/isawherstandingthere.php

I have been following this one since I really really like the comic.  I hate the TV show.  The game is an original story, that you play with an original character, but it looks like there are also appearances by the original characters from the comic/TV series.

I preordered on Steam and started playing last night.  I like this kind of gameplay, but it may not be most peoples' cup of tea.  There is a lot of watching the story play out and then looking around and clicking on something to make things move forward.  I like the action sequences though and there is a pretty good mechanic in giving the player only a certain amount of time to make dialogue choices and action choices.  This amount of time varies by how frantic the scene is.

MINOR SPOILER to give you an example there is a scene where you are a passenger riding in a car and the driver does not see a walker crossing the road and you have less than a second when the dialogue tree pops up to pick what you yell at the driver before impact.  After it happened I felt that it was pretty cool because it made me feel like it was a sudden shocking occurrence and I just "blurted out" the first button I stabbed at like it could have happened in real life.

I really like the art style,  I really like the sound quality, I like the new characters so far and the story and setting.

Worth the 25 bucks on Steam for all 5 episodes and I hear it will be 5 bucks per episode after that.  I don't pay full price for many games anymore, but I did for this one.

BDSooner72

Sounds good, definitely picking this up Friday.

Ted

Following up.....don't hesitate to pick it up.  While it carries some of the usual clunkiness of an adventure game I am very happy with it being closer to the comic than the TV show in terms of the emotion and harsh reality of bad things happen to decent people and you just have to keep pushing on.

One of the things I loved about the comic was that none of the characters were "sacred" in the sense that any of them could be killed or worse, maimed.  The comic could be absolutely brutal and jarring with the suddenness of going from relative peace and calm to catastrophic event and a major character is dead.  The game looks to following that courageous style and now you are part of the decision process of what happens to people.

BDSooner72

Downloading right now, it just showed up on XBL. Won't get to play until tomorrow but looking forward to it.

Ted

Finished episode 1 last night.  Strong from start to finish.  Can't wait for episode 2 next month.  At least I hope it is next month.

BDSooner72

Just finished the game in one sitting. Started out a bit slow for me at first and the controls and movement kinda felt a bit wonky but once I hit Macon, it just clicked with me. Going to give this another play through using a few different choices to see how much the ending changes. I do like at the end of the part one it shows all of your decisions compared to the other players on the 360.

SPOILER ----- HIGHLIGHT TO VIEW

Was not exactly shocked to see like 75% of the 360 owners chose to save the girl with the gun over Doug, even though she was the only one up to that point who knew of your past.  I have to admit saving her. She seemed genuine and I will take a chick with a gun over a guy who was in the AV club and knew all the TV codes.

END SPOILER

I will definitely be going through all 5 episodes. 

Ted

BDSooner72

Episode 2?  Devs have been really quiet about this and we are well past a month.

Ted

I was wondering about this myself.

BDSooner72

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/26/3119131/the-walking-dead-episode-2-june-27th-xbox-360-june-29th-PS3-PC

The second episode, "Starving For Help," comes to Xbox 360 first. The episode then hits the PlayStation 3 and PC on Friday, June 29th.

Ted

BDSooner72

Downloading it now and will try a play-through tonight. Really looking forward to this based on the previews.

BDSooner72

Finished most of the 2nd episode and it was worth the wait. So may things I want to say but will wait for Ted to finish it. Probably only console specific but this episode should not have passed MS certification. Tons of slowdown, stuttering and short little freezes that do not really affect the game but are very annoying nonetheless.

BDSooner72

Finished Episode 2 and wanting more.

Spoilers

I found it interesting that like myself, 90% of people only killed one of the brothers or none. I did not kill either and I blame the TV show for this as season 2 puts an emphasis on keeping some humanity and the struggle the group faced, especially the last few episodes.  That said I did kill the crazy lady and only 11% of the other gamers did the same.  Only reason I did it was I found Clementines hat in the tent and thanks to the ending, it appears our small little group might have done what's best in the situation. In regards to the Dairy Farm, I actually thought we would find zombie grandpa behind the locked door, again the TV show led me to thinking this. One thing that bothered me is they have all this food at their disposal, why are the resorting to cannibalism so early? I also stole the food, that might come back to bite me in the arse.

I will also never be able to look at a salt block the same way after this episode.