News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

You dun gone to far

Started by BDSooner72, June 20, 2020, 11:22:29 PM

BDSooner72

You took away Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben, Cream of Wheat Chef and now Eskimo Pies. But you have gone too far, crossed a line that can't be uncrossed.

Pulling movies and now over on the other side of the pond they are putting warnings on movies.

https://theunionjournal.com/sky-adds-outdated-attitudes-disclaimer-to-some-classic-films/

QuoteSky Cinema, the broadcasting giant’s movie service, has issued a disclaimer to its subscribers that some of its content ‘has outdated attitudes, languages and cultural depictions which may cause offence today’.

Data from the The Goonies? You warn us about the best character in the movie because an Asian actor talks a certain way?

Aliens?  Fuck it, just beam me of this planet.

BDSooner72

This is a Stanford Professor, just FYI.

The Dark, Forgotten History of Coloring Books

https://slate.com/culture/2020/08/coloring-books-history-coronavirus.html

Ted

I read the article twice.  I can't find anything in it that makes the think the author "dun gone to far."

BDSooner72

Third time is a charm? Just using the words sinister and coloring books in the same sentence was enough for me. That said it was this that pushed me over the edge.
I am even more tired of the tamed fantasies that coloring books want me to make my own. They are mostly consolatory, rather than empowering. In the early 1980s, we colored automobiles, the dreams of careerists. A few years ago, we colored Ryan Gosling, asking you out on a date. Today we color unicorns, campfires, and storefronts full of stuff.

A new kind of snob has been born, coloring book snob.

I did enjoy some of the comments to the article. My favorite.

I think crayons are the real scandal here.

The peach one doesn't taste like peach, and neither does chocolate taste like chocolate or vanilla like vanilla.

In fact, they all taste the same.....

Ted

Nope, no charm.  I found the whole thing rather tepid.  I feel like you really gotta try hard to be upset by this one.

BDSooner72

Jason

I feel the article is ridiculous and irrelevant and want the few minutes back I wasted reading it. As someone who lets too many stupid things annoy me, I was able to ignore the stupidity of it.

I'm glad to see they added that warning to the beggining of Blazing Saddles because I'd hate to be triggered while watching one of my favorite movies.

I lean much more to the left these days but the political correctness going on now is just insane.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

BDSooner72

Quote from: Jason on August 15, 2020, 11:03:57 PM
I lean much more to the left these days but the political correctness going on now is just insane.

I move closer to the center every day. As much as I can't stand the progressive left, the same can be said for the religious zealots and uber conservatives. Zelots on both side of the political spectrum are what is destroying America. One side wants to burn down cities and replace cops with social workers while the other side...  Time for a little story.

As you may recall I was on a ventilator for a week or so when I was diagnosed with Wegeners. So I have first hand experience being woken up every day to the hell that trying to breath while on a ventilator. So I wear a mask. It's a small thing. It benefits me and the people around me. Unfortunately this little town has not required masks until a week ago because it did not have more than 20 active cases. Texas law says once you are over 20 you have to wear masks. Before this I would say 20% of the customers wore masks in stores. After the small outbreak, not much has changed. Signs in store say you must wear on but they can't enforce it due to fear of what happens in such confrontations. So I was in the Dollar General picking up a few things, avoiding the grocery store. As I get to the register the cashier and another customer, both wearing masks talked about how silly it is not to wear them. Steps up crazy old dude with MAGA hat saying that the virus was created here in American by leftist scientists, sent to China and then spread across the world. Thus cutting the population a bit and reducing climate change. I shit you not this is what was said. Kept my mouth shut, walked out the door and questioned humanity as I made my way to my truck.

Ted

Somewhere between the 2016 and 2018 elections I actively decided to ignore media, and especially social media, in general.  It's all one big click-bait outrage machine on all sides and I think its purpose is not to inform, but to keep people in agitated and stressed emotional states. Calm people make rational decisions.  Agitated and stressed people make hasty emotional decisions.

There's some kind "law of" out there that when you see a news headline that asks a question the answer is almost always no.  Is that food you love giving you cancer?  No.  Do X cause Y?  No.

I have my own internal thing I do when I read headlines like the ones linked here or the latest outrage of the moment.  I say "so what."

https://theunionjournal.com/sky-adds-outdated-attitudes-disclaimer-to-some-classic-films/

So what

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8629157/HBO-Max-puts-trigger-warning-Western-spoof-Blazing-Saddles-racist-language-attitudes.html 

So what

The Dark, Forgotten History of Coloring Books 

So What

They keep writing this shit because people keep clicking on it and then howling in the comments.  Maybe if it got ignored it would go away.  Probably not.  But I ignore it and it goes away.  Sometimes instead of so what I say Who cares. It's really fun when someone I know brings this stuff up face to face.  I love the look on their face when I respond this way.  They either go silent like they are thinking of the answer or they get kind of pissy like I'm part of the problem if I don't care.  But I don't.  None of this really affects my day to day life.

Also, that guy in the MAGA hat is certifiably crazy.  We have them here too.  They seem to be everywhere, the crazy conspiracy fuckers.  You should have looked at him and said, "so what."

Jason

I feel for you with the mask situation. The way it's been politicized is fucking ridiculous and it's all because of the fat fuck sitting in the White House right now. The stupidity in this country is another major issue and it's a shame that these insane conspiracy theories gain traction because of the internet and insane talk/radio show hosts. It also doesn't help when the president retweets some of them.

I like Ted's "so what" attitude and try to do that myself. The problem is when the things being done affect my life directly, which is what happens most often with politics. I make my own opinions based on science and facts and don't need some asshole on TV to tell me what I should think or believe.

For the record, I'm probably one of the most politically incorrect people on the planet, but I don't hate anyone based on their race, color or beliefs. I grew up with the phase "sticks and stones..." and still feel that way.

BDSooner72

Quote from: Jason on August 16, 2020, 01:13:16 PM
I feel for you with the mask situation. The way it's been politicized is fucking ridiculous and it's all because of the fat fuck sitting in the White House right now. The stupidity in this country is another major issue and it's a shame that these insane conspiracy theories gain traction because of the internet and insane talk/radio show hosts. It also doesn't help when the president retweets some of them.

I like Ted's "so what" attitude and try to do that myself. The problem is when the things being done affect my life directly, which is what happens most often with politics. I make my own opinions based on science and facts and don't need some asshole on TV to tell me what I should think or believe.

For the record, I'm probably one of the most politically incorrect people on the planet, but I don't hate anyone based on their race, color or beliefs. I grew up with the phase "sticks and stones..." and still feel that way.

I think we all grew up on "sticks and stones" but at some point the world/parenting/teachers changed and now every word is a potential trigger for these charmin soft kiddos today.  Ted has a great point about "so what" but I live in rural Texas where most trucks have gun racks and most MAGA's conceal carry. So sometimes it's best to just to move on in a quiet peaceful demeanor.

Ted

Quote from: BDSooner72 on August 16, 2020, 06:08:37 PM
Quote from: Jason on August 16, 2020, 01:13:16 PM

I think we all grew up on "sticks and stones" but at some point the world/parenting/teachers changed and now every word is a potential trigger for these charmin soft kiddos today.  Ted has a great point about "so what" but I live in rural Texas where most trucks have gun racks and most MAGA's conceal carry. So sometimes it's best to just to move on in a quiet peaceful demeanor.

It's not just soft kiddos.  Everyone is outraged about everything, offended by everything. And the gun-toting concern you have is no joke.  This was what was going on in my town a year ago. 

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/angry-seniors-protest-pledge-policy/281-04fdf188-4abf-40e0-aabb-3b06b63e0dff

It was really fucking stupid.  And if you bother to read the article or watch the clip, the resigned chairperson they mention at the end is a client and friend of mine.  The incident that she decided was the breaking point, was when she was backed up against the wall by an outraged, screaming man who had a holstered firearm on his hip.  He was screaming at her that he felt threatened and in danger because they removed the flag and the pledge from the senior center.  The guy was a fucking nutbag. 

BDSooner72

Sorry for your friend, nobody should be put in danger. That said, this should have never have happened in the first place. She said she wanted to make the center a more inclusive place for all and that is where the issue is. Why should something, that is not offensive, have to be removed to pacify what I would bet good money on is small minority of people. Why can't they show a little respect? You don't ban the Flag, Pledge of Allegiance or National Anthem. This is America and people have the right to participate, be silent or leave the room. There are plenty of other countries out there and they wave flags, sing anthems, etc, etc.  Doing it at a senior center is even more mind-boggling. Most seniors I know are the most patriotic people out there or have the common decency to not make an issue out of it.

This is where having a blind eye to PC and inclusiveness does not work. You give an inch, they take a mile. Then you end up with what is happening in Seattle, Austin, Chicago and Portlandia.

For the record. The only flag that is waived in my lawn is an OU flag on gameday. I am pretty sure High School was the last time I said the Pledge of Allegiance and find all National Anthems boring, especially the Canadian anthem. While I might not be patriotic, I was raised well enough to respect those that are and those who are not but do so respectfully.

Jason

Don't get me started on all the tough-guy gun owners. Based on personal experience, I'll just say that a majority of them are pussies.

BDSooner72

They may be pussies but the gun fears no man. Hence my desire not to piss one of them off.  ;)