News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Coronavirus

Started by Jason, March 14, 2020, 01:10:57 PM

Jason

Figured I'd bring this up since it seems to be affecting every aspect of our lives now. All 3 of my kids are home from school indefinitely, my clients have started shutting down there offices and having everyone work remotely starting this upcoming week and stores are almost impossible to shop at now.

I was supposed to be at my daughter's volleyball tournament in Pennsylvania this weekend, but they were smart enough to cancel it even though I had made a decision on Wednesday night not to go if it wasn't canceled. Luckily it was canceled and I didn't look like the "bad dad".

I also had tickets for opening day at Camden Yards to see the Yankees and Orioles on March 26th, but I don;t think I'm going to make it with the season being delayed. There's no guarantee the opening game (whenever it is) will even be against the Yankees anymore. I've always wanted to go to Camden Yards and to have opening tickets against the Yankees was the icing on the cake...oh well. Maybe in another lifetime.

BDSooner72

My mother is in an assisted living home and they no longer allow visitors.  It took away March Madness, the most wonderful time of the year.  :( 

Jason

Really sorry to hear about the situation with your mother. I'm sure it's hard, but it's best to limit her interactions with anyone who might be infected.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

BDSooner72

She is just upset that my sisters can't bring her fast food and coke with the small ice a couple times a week. She complains about the food and these meals are a nice break from what they usually serve. Not much I can do as I live seven hours away. I think if this lasts more than a couple weeks she will fall on the side of risking it.

Ted

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I like checking the numbers daily.  There is a lot of hype/hysteria going on right now.  Is Covid-19 serious?  Yes.  Is this the end of the world?  No.

SARS killed 10% of the infected.
MERS killed almost 35%.

Now Covid 19 looks to be less deadly, but easier transmission.

This will sound callous, but keep in mind it's killing the old (70+) and then young(ish?) people with underlying health issues, especially cardiovascular and chronic lung disease.  Every so often nature figures out a way to try to rebalance things.  These are the at risk people that get affected the most.  Luckily little kids seem not to be affected by this one, but they do seem to be spreaders.

My own uneducated opinion is that the world governments are responding in what seems to be an overly-aggressive way for one reason, to simply slow the spread, not truly contain it.  And that is to prevent the health care systems from being completely overrun which would lead to collateral deaths from an inability to cope with all the other medical issues out there and to limit the damage to the economy.  This is probably already going to throw us into a recession (crude oil is down 40%, the stock market just corrected into bear territory for the first time in 12 years (overdue), and Delta just grounded 1/3 of it's fleet).  I hope that they think that if they control the pace then the downturn will be shorter.

Just my .02 though.  Hey, wash your hands.  Stay 6 feet away from people.  Try not to hoard.  Be a good neighbor.

Brent, I hope your mom is ok and gets extra Big Mac's soon.  And I hope everyone has some savings accounts built up.  These kinds of events are the very reason for a rainy day fund.

BDSooner72

Quote from: Ted on March 15, 2020, 10:44:57 PM
Brent, I hope your mom is ok and gets extra Big Mac's soon.  And I hope everyone has some savings accounts built up.  These kinds of events are the very reason for a rainy day fund.

She is more into Sonic but thanks for the kind words, you and Jason.

Jason

My 84 year old mother-in-law moved in with us just over 4 weeks ago because she can no longer take care of herself. She doesn't speak a word of English (Italian only) and is in the late stages of dementia, so she has no idea who anyone is, including her own daughter. I wish we could find an affordable assisted living place for her.

BDSooner72

Sorry to hear that. Must be especially tough to find help with her only speaking Italian.

Jason

No need to be sorry. She's lived in this country for over 66 years, so she's had plenty of time to learn English. This entire situation has become much more than we expected, especially since we were already over-crowded in this house before she moved in. Not to sound mean, but extending everyone's life expectancy isn't always the best thing. I've always said I wanted to go out before I got too old to take care of myself and this has certainly reaffirmed that feeling.

To top it all off, school at home has started for all 3 of my kids today.

BDSooner72

I understand what you will be going through. My parents had a similar situation many years ago when they had My Mom's Mother come to live with them due to failing health and being by herself in another state. So much tension in that house and especially with the fact the my Mom's brother lived in Chicago and never once saw her or paid a penny for the care they gave and he had millions. A monthly phone call was all the time he could afford.  This lasted nearly three years.

Have said the same thing too. If I can't take care of myself put a gun to my head. Easy to say but when the time comes and mine nearly did, you tend to change your mind. The wife and kids come first. Do everything you can to to keep any tension from building. If your wife has siblings, do not let them slide from responsibility.

Also there is a really good stay at home teacher I have been hearing about with all the schools closings. Miss Sonypla Ystation keeps the kids busy, teaches excellent hand-eye coordination and teamwork and does not charge for overtime.

Jason

My wife's brother took in their father around the same time. He's the same age and was fine until he fell right before Christmas. He hasn't walked since and is now in a diaper.

The difference is that her brother and his wife are both recently retired (gotta love early retirement for those city jobs), so they don't have to worry about going to work full-time everyday.

I understand you feeling differently when you were in that situation, but you were much younger and still had many years ahead of you. Her parents are 84. Her mother sits in a recliner all day and sleeps..no reading, watching TV or talking. She only gets up to eat and use the bathroom. Then she goes to bed at night. That's not a life.

I know I sound mean, but this has been hard on everyone involved. My wife and I were under the impression she didn't have much time left when we took her in, but I'm second-guessing that now. I'm not sure what would happen if it turned into 3 years like your situation did.

BDSooner72

https://news.avclub.com/in-a-shocking-twist-everybodys-making-fun-of-gal-gadot-1842425798

It really is one of the most cringe worthy videos I have ever seen. Song choice puts the cherry on the top coming from a bunch of millionaires.

Jason

That is pretty cringe worthy. I'm worried about having a business 2 months from now, but holy crap is she hot without makeup.

BDSooner72

Quote from: Jason on March 20, 2020, 12:25:08 PM
I'm worried about having a business 2 months from now, but holy crap is she hot without makeup.

Have you considered a future in writing country music? Just need to toss a dog and some beer in there and you have a #1 hit.