News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Cord Cutting

Started by Jason, August 28, 2017, 12:25:17 PM

Jason

I read that Amazon and Walmart were both interested in it. I'd like to see Amazon buy it before it's too late. It would be a nice addition to their video services and might help sell more Fire Sticks.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Brad Company

Keeping up with programming costs in a market that is in freefall is distasteful for even the deepest pockets.

Brad Company

Trying out YouTubeTV, I'm impressed by the PQ, interface and channel changing.

Jason

I'm pretty sure Brent has YouTube TV and likes it. I'm probably going to move to this once my 2-year TV deal with Fios is over.

BDSooner72

I had it and love it. When sports come back I will be jumping back on Youtube TV. So nice to have a service you can stop/start anytime you wish.

Brad Company

Finally ditched DirecTV at the beginning of the month, went with YTTV. Even with the 4K add-on ,HBO Max and Showtime, it's a hundred a month less. Very freeing to dig out the receivers, SwM boxes and everything else out of my setups.

Jason

Nice. I'm planning on moving to YouTubeTV once my initial 2-year contract with Fios ends in December. Not paying for the boxes in each room is what I'm looking forward to most. I already have Rokus on all of my TVs, so I'm all set.

Brad Company

I decided to try the $20 ONN 4K streamer from Wal Mart today. It runs Android TV and is nice and fast. The remote is the newest Google remote, and is well suited for YTTV. It runs [email protected] and HDR10, no DV or Atmos. 1 day in and I'm pleasantly surprised, this thing beats the sticks I've tried and hangs with my Roku Ultras.
We'll see how it goes for a while, but for $20 this thing appears to be a steal.

Jason

I had never heard of that before you mentioned it and checked it out online...I like that it runs Android TV and the reviews seem pretty good. I'd be curious to see how it holds up. No DV and Atmos is not a big deal to me since I only have one TV that supports those anyway.

Brad Company

Still running the ONN box, it's been good enough that I took the Roku out of my main setup. The remote can be programmed to control TV and AVR and you can specify the button commands. The biggest negative for my use is HDR is either always on or always off. Changing this setting on the fly is pretty painless using the remote. Supposedly auto HDR is coming in an update, so we'll see. For YTTV, this thing consistently pulls higher connection speed then the Roku, no matter if the Roku is wired or wireless. It leads me to believe it may be connecting via better servers. Even though both run Android TV, the ONN crushes my Sony TV's built-in apps.

Jason

Thanks for the update. Roku may be losing Amazon Prime, so I may have to use an alternative.

Brad Company

If Roku loses Prime Video and You Tube they're done. Their holiday sales are already going to take a hit with these possible losses.

Jason

Is this the one you have: https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Android-TV-UHD-Streaming-Device/636597403?athbdg=L1300

I'm planning on replacing my first-gen Roku in my office (no 4K, power and volume on controller) and will probably give this a shot.

Brad Company

Yep, that's the little feller right there. Ignore the freeze-ups in those reviews, the recent  firmware update evidently fixed that.

Jason

It looks like the latest update fixed most of the major issues with the device: https://9to5google.com/2021/09/11/walmart-onn-android-tv-box-update-august-2021/