News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

Cord Cutting

Started by Jason, August 28, 2017, 12:25:17 PM

Jason

I agree. I explained the current net neutrality situation to my brother by telling him he's going to be paying a lot more for Netflix in the near future. I was surprised that my new cable box offers 4K streaming for Netflix when their own broadcasts aren't even in 4K yet...and won't be anytime soon.

Brad Company

DirecTV is ramping up the 4K offerings a bit, and just added HDR. Blue Planet2 was on Saturday, and it looked spectacular. 8)

Jason

Burger King's Whopper neutrality ad:

Brad Company

When bleepin' Burger King knows somethings' wrong...

Jason

I have a Roku Express stick arriving today that allows me to run an Xfinity app, which will give me access to all my cable channels and DVR features without having to pay $9.95 a month for an additional cable box. I'm anxious to see how well it works. If all goes well, I'll get two more for my kids and save $30 a month on my cable bill. The Roku stick was only $30, so I'd make up my investment in 3 months for all three devices.

Jason

The Roku stick works great so far and any data used streaming is not counted against my Xfinity account.

BDSooner72

Youtube TV now works on the standard Amazon Fire Stick (Gen 2 only) and they were on sale so I bought one for each TV. Our Local Cable/Internet company is eliminating the TV Cable part of the business as they make no money off of it. My problem is I live out in the boonies and watch a lot of sports on local TV/Major Networks, unfortunately we are 120 miles from the closest Texas station, so antenna is not an option for OTA.  Did not want to go back to Dish or Directv and on a whim saw that Youtube TV gives you all the local channels. Pretty robust set of channels for $50 a month including a few I did not get due to having local cable.  Still in trial mode but had to do something as we will be losing access sometime early next year. They have many shows archived that you can watch with commercials and unlimited cloud DVD for all the new stuff.  So far so good but the test will come Saturday when I am watching college football all day/night.

Jason

My current contract with Comcast runs out in February and YouTube TV is the service I'm most interested in. Let me know how it works out for you. I already have Fire Sticks for all the TVs in my house, plus a Roku for my office.

BDSooner72

They should work as long as they are not the Gen One 1080P sticks. Those will not even allow you to download the app. Will give you an update. The amount of sports content available is really impressive.

BDSooner72

Got my first full day of football with Youtube TV and I have no complaints about the service itself. Load times were quick with only a couple cases of short freeze.  My only complaint is the Amazon Fire Stick remote is not a great remote for this type of service. Limited buttons and nothing I have seen to flip back and forth between channels. That said only a couple presses down on the stick and it will bring up the last few channels you viewed and other suggestions. So for me navigating between multiple games is much easier than it was on my cable box.

Guess I can look into seeing if Alexa can flip for you but even that is a bit of a pain. Plus it's just creepy to use those voice assistants.

Jason

Using the Fire Stick remote with PS Vue was one of the reasons I got rid of it.

Can you add HBO to your YouTubeTV subscription or do you have to buy it seperately with HBO Go? I like that I can access Netflix and Amazon Prime right through my cable box and not be charged for data though it. I'd really miss that convenience if I drop cable. It's especially nice that it also looks through those services when searching for a show by name.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

BDSooner72

These are currently the only add on channels (monthly amount)

Acorn ($6)
    AMC Premiere ($5)
    CuriosityStream ($3)
    Fox Soccer Plus ($15)
    NBA League Pass ($40)
    Showtime ($7)
    Shudder ($6)
    STARZ ($9)
    Sundance Now ($7)
    UMC ($5)

Jason

Thanks. Nice to see they have Starz and Showtime. I guess I can live with HBO being a separate app.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Jason

Brad Company

I had just read they were trying to sell it, I guess no takers. The service had less than 500,000 subs, so it's not too surprising.