News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

4K TVs

Started by Jason, March 23, 2017, 10:56:35 AM

Brad Company

Upgrade complete. Grabbed a Sony UBP-X800 UHD player today.

Jason

Enjoy. That's the model I'm interested in. Samsung has some cheaper players (like the UBD-M8500), but I'm not a fan of their disc players (DVD, Blu-ray or 4K players). I just wish Blu-ray discs supported HDR too.

I'm heavily invested in Blu-ray and like to make legal copies/conversions of my movies to MP4 files for use on tablets and phones, especially for my 6-year-old. Unfortunately, AACS 2.0 hasn't been cracked yet, regardless of what some of the rumors on the internet say, so I'm not ready to start investing in 4K movies until I can make legal backups.

Jason

I've stopped using Game Mode on my TV while using my PS4 and Xbox 360. The extra responsiveness didn't make up for the lack of picture quality, especially with HDR-enabled games.

Brad Company

What was wrong with it?

Jason

The main issue has to do with a bug in Samsung's firmware. When HDR content is detected by the TV, the backlight automatically maxes out and then goes back to its original setting when there is no more HDR content. Unfortunately, this feature doesn't work in "Game Mode", so I had to manually adjust my backlight before and after playing any HDR-enabled games.

I realize that's not a huge deal, but I'm also able to get a better picture without using Game Mode. I can get a brighter image with more pop without Game Mode on without having to use artificial picture enhancements like Dynamic Contrast. Since I don't really notice any difference in input lag either way, I figured I'd go with the better picture and convenience.

Brad Company

Gotcha. That is a nasty bug. I've taken to running the PS4 in its' own enhanced HDMI slot, apart from my other sources, simply because switching from Game to Cinema Pro is a PITA.
I give up lossless audio, but the TV passes full bitrate DD5.1 via ARC to the AVR. Luckily Game is only slightly less color temp accurate, and otherwise has a great picture.
Input lag in my experience is most noticeable on timing based game action, and of course online gaming. Try batting practice with MLB; your hit timing will be a good judge if the milliseconds you give are an issue. On my set, Game is 31-35 ms, any other mode is over 100, which can be significant.

There seem to be numerous threads in forums about your issue, and Rtings have a base set;
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/5eui7o/those_of_you_who_have_the_ks8000_what_settings/
Also, AVforums with some settings;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X71yX0FCVd4

You may well have seen all of these, just trying to help a bit. I spend way more time than is healthy with this stuff. :))

Jason

Appreciate the links. The Reddit and YouTube links were new to me.

It's funny you should mention MLB...I played a few games today to see how it felt and after the first inning, I didn't have any issues with timing. Having said that, I'm still holding out hope the Samsung updates the firmware to fix Game Mode, but I'd still miss the better picture I get without it. It's a shame that something as simple as playing videos games has become so complicated now. What's worse is that the next wave of video technology, OLED, doesn't even solve the lag problem.

Ted

Seeing a lot of 47 to 49" 4k TV's that are cheap right now.  Like $350.  Why are they so low?

Brad Company

Supply and demand.

Jason

Depends on the brand or they could be 2016 leftover models. Non-HDR 4K TV's have really dropped in price too.

Ted

These are end of model year 2017 with HDR

Jason

Quote from: Ted on October 18, 2017, 11:08:41 PM
These are end of model year 2017 with HDR

Maybe it's the brand and size. Most people tend to go larger when moving to 4K.

Jason

Quote from: Jason on September 11, 2017, 06:47:12 PM
The main issue has to do with a bug in Samsung's firmware. When HDR content is detected by the TV, the backlight automatically maxes out and then goes back to its original setting when there is no more HDR content. Unfortunately, this feature doesn't work in "Game Mode", so I had to manually adjust my backlight before and after playing any HDR-enabled games.

Samsung is supposedly releasing a firmware update at the end of this month that will finally fix this annoying issue. Fingers crossed...

Jason

I think I finally settled on my next 4k TV: https://www.costco.com/sony-55%22-class---x90ch-series---4k-uhd-led-lcd-tv.product.100657293.html

For whatever reason, Sony decided to put HDMI 2.1, VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) and ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) in the lower model 900H series only. The chipset on the 900H series is apparently more sophisticated than the higher models too.

I'd prefer not have to the wide viewing angle filter on the 950H series anyway, which is not much of an upgrade over last year's 950G series (you can even upgrade last year's G series with the 2020 H series firmware).

BDSooner72

Congrats! I still have not decided on my first 4K TV.  ;)