News:

All future registrations will need to be approved before activation
due to the increase in spammers registering.

Main Menu

4K TVs

Started by Jason, March 23, 2017, 10:56:35 AM

Jason

There's a very good chance this bad boy may be in my house in the next day or two: http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

BJ's currently has it on sale for $979.99 (which is $20 cheaper than Black Friday deals) and is offering an extra $100 discount if you bring in an old LCD or LED TV. I have an old 25" LCD TV laying around that I'm going to bring in to get that extra discount.

Jason

I bought it. Will post pics when it's set up later today.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Jason

Ted

How do I convince my wife that we need this?

Jason

Quote from: Ted on March 23, 2017, 10:01:18 PM
How do I convince my wife that we need this?

I'm still shocked that my wife agreed to it. This sale started on 3/9 and I've been talking about it since I saw the ad in late February. I didn't get a tax refund this year, and actually had to pay taxes, so I thought the idea of a new TV was DOA.

The mistake my wife made was having me go to BJ's with her this morning to get cases of water and I noticed they had two of the TVs in stock. The rest, as they say, is history. I did have to use my business credit card, so technically it's a "business expense". I'm glad I went back later to buy it because the extra $100 off for bringing in an unused and barely working TV was more than worth it.

I've been getting the setting just the way I like using a combination of recommendations from Digital Foundry and Ratings.com and I'm very happy with the results. Horizon: Zero Dawn looks amazing with HDR enabled, so now I'm going to have to go back and play The Last of Us, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4 and FIFA 2017 again, and I have The Show to look forward to with HDR on Tuesday. I'm so glad Sony added HDR to the standard PS4, but I can definitely see a PS4 Pro in the mix before the end of the year.

The funniest part is that I had an epidural in my neck/back today and wasn't supposed to do any strenuous activities today. Meanwhile, I disconnected the old LCD in my office and brought it to BJ's for trade-in, took home my new 55" TV, disconnected and moved my son's 32" TV from his room into my office, disconnected and my moved my old 46" TV from my living room into my son's room and finally set up the new TV in my living room. In total, 4 TV's got moved in my house today. My wife said if it was something she wanted done I'd say that I wasn't able to do any physical activity, and she's right.

Brad Company

That has very low input lag. Screamin' deal, too. No excuse to not get the Pro, now.

Jason

From what I read, this was one of the best gaming TVs out right now. I tested out Game Mode last night and liked that it didn't mess with my settings and doesn't hurt the picture quality at all. What's even better is that it now switches Game Mode on automatically when I switch to either my PS4 or Xbox 360 video input, then back off when I switch to my cable box or Blu-ray player.

Jason

I didn't think I'd notice a difference, but with Game Mode on FIFA 17 and NHL 17 feel so much more responsive than they did on my old TV. This is definitely a nice bonus.

Brad Company

Yeah, game mode all the way, and always disable motion flow, blur enhancer, frame interpolation, etc.
Sports games are good for testing this, I think baseball is the best.
Rock Band Hero games had built in lag compensation tools.

Jason

I always turn all that other crap off.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Brad Company

Grabbed a Sony XBR 900E 55" today.

First 4K ultra viewing via Netflix. Immediately obvious improvement, even to the better half.

4K You Tube..impressive.

Jason

Congrats on your purchase. I had a feeling a 4K TV purchase was going to come soon after you bought your new 7.1 receiver. You've got yourself quite a setup with your PS4 Pro, new 4K TV and speaker system.

Jason

I came close to putting my fist through the center of my new TV yesterday when I noticed about 12 scratches on the top-right corner of the screen. After interrogating/accusing my three kids, it looks like it may have been one of my cats that did it. We got two kittens last June and one of them likes to "attack" moving images on the screen. I was able to buff out the scratches so that they're barely noticeable, but of course I know they're still there. It didn't help to have my wife remind me how something like this was going to happen before I bought the TV  >:( .

I had finally found some good settings to make HDR look really good and this whole episode put a real damper on it.

Brad Company

That sucks man. Did the kids hold up under questioning? Or was waterboarding necessary?
The cats may be a tougher nut to crack.
Love it when the other half chimes in with crap when I'm pissed. Good stuff.

I literally got emotional playing in 4K holy crap.

Jason

My cats are lucky they're so damn cute. My wife always says if I ever lost my phone, whoever found it would think it belongs to a single women because of all the cat pictures on it.

I've cooled down a little today. The fact is that the scratches can only be screen when the TV is off and there's a glare hitting the screen. Having said that, my daughter has been banned from kicking her soccer ball around in there.

My wife is a full-blown Sicilian and I'm half-Sicilian, so there's plenty of fireworks in my house ;)